Passing files between Windows and Teradata Express on VMWare

Database
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Passing files between Windows and Teradata Express on VMWare

What is the simplest and quickest method for configuring Windows 10 and installing and configuring Teradata Express 16.20 on VMWare 14 to pass files between them, e.g. FTP, samba?

Could only find this, it’s old VMWare Workstation 3.2 and short on detail:

https://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/ws32_running9.html

It says “Samba is installed when you install host-only networking with VMware Workstation”, which implies Samba isn’t installed with NAT networking.

Some say setting VMWare to NAT networking is best, others say host-only networking is best.

Which is the easiest method to get started passing files, and does it need to be set to NAT or host-only before you add the Teradata Express VM to VMWare?

11 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Re: Passing files between Windows and Teradata Express on VMWare

Hi,

I use WinSCP for file transfer from /to my Windows host, including TD vm's.

HTH
Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
Enthusiast

Thanks Dave.

What setup steps are needed before WinSCP will work?

I could only find this, it’s instructions for the old VMWare Workstation 3.2 and it's short on detail:

https://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/ws32_running9.html

It says “Samba is installed when you install host-only networking with VMware Workstation”, which implies Samba isn’t installed with NAT networking.

I'd be interested to hear which VM networking setup people recommend.  I've heard eveything from some saying setting VMWare to NAT is best, some saying bridged, and others saying host-only networking.

Which do you use Dave?

Roberta

Which is the easiest method to get started passing files, and does it need to be set to NAT or host-only before you add the Teradata Express VM to VMWare?

Senior Apprentice

Hi,

I've never done any real 'set up', certainly not on the TD vm side.

Having installed WinSCP on my Windows system, I then start it and choose 'New Site'. Enter the ip address of your vm and the username/password (I just use root / root) and "off you go".

Cheers,

Dave

Enthusiast

Thank Dave.

Which VM networking setup do you use (see the seetings for the TDE VM in VMWare Workstation)?  Bridged, NAT, or Host-Only?

Roberta

Senior Apprentice

No problem.

I've used all three over the years and it really doesn't matter for what you're trying to do here.

I tend to use Host-only now as that suits my environment - particularly because my laptop (the host) gets moved between networks and (therefore) ip addresses and also occasionally needs to work in an environment where it is not connected to any network. Also, my TD systems don't require access to the Internet so Host-only suits me fine.

Cheers,

Dave

Teradata Employee

Another option is to share a host folder/directory with the guest OS. While the VM is "powered down", use the virtual machine Settings / Options to add the file share. It should then appear in the VM as /mnt/hgfs/<name>.

You do need to be careful about end-of-line / record delimiter differences for text files if you share between Windows host and Linux guest, though.

Teradata Employee

That's interesting. I had never noticed the file-sharing option before, but the Enable button is greyed-out in the VMPlayer I use for TD Express.

WinSCP is probably the easiest to use.  There is also pscp, which comes with putty.  (I think the customizable putty screen is easier to work with than the normal VM window.)  PSCP is command-line, e.g.,
    pscp -l root -pw root MyFile.txt root@dbc:/<directory-name>
to copy to the VM or

pscp -l root -pw root root@dbc:/<directory-name/file-name> MyOtherFile.txt

to copy from the VM to the Windows host.

Teradata Employee

(The PSCP examples above presume that "dbc" has been set as an alias for the VM IP address in C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/DRIVERS/etc/HOSTS.)

Enthusiast

Thanks everyone.  I've got WinSCP working in host only mode, I'd like to try in NAT mode too.