Performance Data

Database
Enthusiast

Performance Data

I have worked with Oracle for many years. I have started working with Teradata recently. Oracle has something very useful to find about performance data and it is dynamic performance view. Is there anything simliar to that in Teradata?

Thanks

4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Performance Data

Similar information is available. See the "Introduction to Teradata" manual for an overview and some links, and ask here if there is something specific you are looking for and can't find.

In particular, you could review the PMPC Open API table functions (Application Programming Reference manual), and the Teradata Viewpoint monitoring  functionality, which collects snapshots of PMPC API and other information and displays it in a variety of ways. I'd also recommend checking out Data Base Query Logging (DBQL) functionality and perhaps ResUsage (Database Administration manual).

Enthusiast

Thanks, I have looked at Intro, DBQL, Viewpoint and ResUsage info but perhaps in not much detail and I would look more into these. Also perhaps API function that you mentioned would be helpful. 

What I am interested in is basic info for a DBA i.e. who is doing what or running what SQL in database and if those sessions have any bottlenecks e.g. locked, waits, high i/o, high CPU etc. I can do this in Oracle without any tool by writing simple SQLs, Are there some tables/view available in Teradata to get this info?

Teradata Employee

DBQL (urequest level) and ResUsage (system level) views provide such capabilities after the fact, and the Open API table functions are used to obtain snapshots in real time, all via SQL.

There are no predefined views for the API functions. It is a bit more efficient to filter the output by passing specific arguments, but you could certainly define views that call the functions with wild-card arguments and filter the output in a WHERE clause.

Enthusiast

thanks