Performance tuning of a Fast Load Script-

Database
Enthusiast

Performance tuning of a Fast Load Script-

Hi All,

One way to tune a fast load script is by increasing the number of sessions ,which fast load will use for loading the data ,but also dependent

on the number of available sessions.

Can you please suggest by various other approaches by which a fastload script can be tuned ?

Cheers!

Nishant 

5 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Performance tuning of a Fast Load Script-

hi,

Can you pls share your thoughts on the above pls?

Thanks!

Nishant

Enthusiast

Hi Experts,

Your opinions on the below pls.

cheers!

Nishant

Senior Supporter

it will depend on your source data. 

In some cases network bandwidth is an issue. If you have a wide interface and it is defined with fixed and it contains many variable length char target columns  it can be a considered to change the source file as well to varchar as in this case the volume to be transfered can be drastically reduced.

Also consider if NO PI is an option in your approach.

Enthusiast

Thanks a Lot Ulrich  for the Valuable inputs !

I understood that If we can keep  in sync the Source & target tables , the effective bytes  would  be reduced ( as in the case of varchar , the spaces would be trimmed off & in case of chars ,spaces got padded up and increase the length)..

Also in the file layout its better to define the field lengths as *VARCHAR inplace of *CHAR , as it will consider only the effective bytes rather than the max length of the column.

Please correct me if I am missing any thing here.

Cheers!

Nishant

Senior Supporter

correct - at least if the AVG varchar length is < char length -2. As varchar will add up to additional 2 bytes for the actual length of the varchar (e.g. it need to know how long the value is to be able to separate different varchars)