Pivot query with dynamic number of coumns

Database
Enthusiast

Pivot query with dynamic number of coumns

Hi,

Im new to Teradata and need to write a dynamic crosstab query.

I guess that first i need to create a temp table with the needed columns and then create a dynamic query that concatenates each column in the temp table to a case statement..

Im not sure this is the right way, any help on how to write a pivot query without hardcoding column names will be appriciated!

Thx, Anna

3 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Pivot query with dynamic number of coumns

Did anyone ever wrote a pivot query without hard coding the columns ?

Is it possible to dynamically create a query without hardcoding the column names?

Thanks,

anna

Supporter

Yes, it is possible and done in the past.

SP will have the problem that they can't execute Selects as dynamic SQLs - at least in the past. Didn't check this for a long time.

So the other option is to use BTEQ for that. Export the dynamically generated SQL into a file and call it afterwards via a run statement.

But what do you want to do with the dynamic number of result columns. How do you handle this?

Enthusiast

I have a specific TestNames and their results and I need to present the data in this format:

Date, TestOrigin, T1,                 T2, ....

1.2     US             T1 Result         T2 result

I did it with CASE statements and hardcoded the test names but i want to avoid harcoding.

Could you please post code for using cursors for dynamically constract a concatanation of the test names or the concatanations of CASE statements.

I know that cursors scalability is bad in TD but I guess in the case of 20 more or less test names it wont be a problem. Isnt it?

Im not familiar with BTEQ, how do I use it ?

Thx alot!!!

Anna