Read and parse Teradata raw files in the filesystem

Database
Enthusiast

Read and parse Teradata raw files in the filesystem

Having the problem which I described in the other thread (see here) I'm wondering if there's a way to access tables (dirty) data by reading and parsing raw, phisical files in the Teradata file system. Is there a document describing where and how Teradata keep on the hard drive? 

3 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Read and parse Teradata raw files in the filesystem

I am inclined to say, this is almost impossible.

Even if you were able to do that, your security admin will shut down entire EDW.

If he/she fails, your external auditors will probably find this vulnarability. 

I think this could be a big security vulnaribility. 

On side note, the file system and DBS code is Teradata's proprietary engineering effort.

I doubt if they will ever share.

I have a simple suggestion, use "LOCKING ROW FOR ACCESS" :-)

Best,

Vinay Bagare

Enthusiast

vkbagare wrote:

I am inclined to say, this is almost impossible.

Even if you were able to do that, your security admin will shut down entire EDW.

If he/she fails, your external auditors will probably find this vulnarability. 

I think this could be a big security vulnaribility.  

I treat is as the last resort. I didn't plan to make any action without clear cooperation with DBA and security admin. It's more hypotetical question how feasable is such processing. 

Many proprietary formats became publicly documented for interoperability. Wondering if with Teradata it's such case. 

Teradata Employee

It is not possible to read and interpret the Teradata file system directly. Teradata tables are represented in an internal proprietary format that would require detailed internal knowledge of the file system and extensive code to interpret the internal row formats, compression,... .