Reset Row Number with two conditions

Database

Reset Row Number with two conditions

Hello,

I have the requirements to look at a person, their eligibility dates and their products.  Whenever the months in between are NOT continuous, or whenever the product changes, I need the row number to reset back to one.

Example:

SEL

PERSON_NO

, PRODUCT

, ELIG_DT

, DENSE_RANK()  OVER

(   PARTITION BY PERSON_NO, PRODUCT

ORDER BY ELIG_DT 

RESET WHEN PRODUCT <> AVG(PRODUCT)

AND ELIG_DT > MIN(ELIG_DT)

OVER (

PARTITION BY PRODUCT

ORDER BY ELIG_DT DESC

ROWS BETWEEN CURRENT ROW AND 1 FOLLOWING   )  ) 

AS RN

FROM TABLE1

WHERE PERSON_NO = '9—‘

AND PRODUCT LIKE ANY ('599','4%')

AND ELIG_DT BETWEEN '20150501' AND '20160401'

GROUP BY 1,2,3

ORDER BY 3 DESC;

What happens is:

Product a, which begin as of 5/1/2015, is good for five months (5/1, 6/1, 7/1, 8/1, and 9/1) and then it moves to product b, which starts on 10/1 and stops after 11/1.  When product a resumes on 12/1/2016, the row number continues on with "6" when it should reset back to 1 because the months are not continuous or the product has changed.

TeradataExample_19092016.gif

Please advise the best way to do this.

Thank you,

Sean

3 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: Reset Row Number with two conditions

Can you show som edata plus expected result, your current query is not valid, AVG on a VarChar?

Hi Dnoeth,

I pasted the data in the previous posting.  The issue is that the 12/1/2015 record should not have row number (column RN) showing 6; rather, it should re-start at 1 because either the product changed (from 425 to 599) or the ELIG_DT is not the next month following.  In this instance, it should change only because of the product changing.

Let me know if I can provide more context, and thank you, in advance, for this help.

Sean

Junior Contributor

You should post the table DDL (again, your query is not valid SQL), some rows (best case using Inserts) and expected result.