Response Row size or Constant Row size overflow

Database
SAP
Enthusiast

Response Row size or Constant Row size overflow

Hi All ,

Please help me on the below mentioned error while just selecting a view

Executed as Single statement. Failed [9804 : HY000] Response Row size or Constant Row size overflow.

Elapsed time = 00:00:00.140

STATEMENT 1: Select Statement failed.

Thanks !!!

9 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Response Row size or Constant Row size overflow

Sap,

What tool are you using to execute your query?

Rglass

Teradata Employee

Have you attempted the remedy for error 9804 as described in the messages reference manual?

Remedy:

Change the SQL and/or reduce the data field sizes and/or number of fields being returned and resubmit the

request. Limit the projection list and order by clause to approximately 64k bytes of data each.

SAP
Enthusiast

Hi Glass ,

I am using Teradata Studio express 15 .

Hi David ,

If i reduce the data field sizes , it will affect my data present in the field . :( :(

Enthusiast

If you can perchance reduce your order by if it meets requirements.It can be due to character set session  too.

Enthusiast

If you are using ODBC or .Net Driver, I think you are using session mode is set to "ANSI", so that is reason you are getting 9804 erro. why because it can't able to display the results if it crosses row size limit. i think, it is better to change the session mode to "System Default", so you can able to get the results with out 9804 error.

Enthusiast

Hi,

I was facing the same issue in one of my queries, and I investigated and found that I used oreplace function multiple times, I removed the oreplace function and it worked without any issue. So if you are using any UDF in your query, it can be one reason of this issue.

Br,

Khurram

Khurram
Teradata Employee

From memory this error comes if  your output row size is more than 64K Bytes.

64K Bytes is a lot of data. Are you sure that you can't accomodate your result in less than that?

What data types are of the columns in the Select Clause of your SQL?

I know this post is quite old, but in case someone hits this problem and can't solve it by reducing the results: the same error is produced if the IN clause has too many items (or, perhaps, larger than 64K?), splitting the query to multiple identical pieces, with portions of the in-list in each and combining them with union-all resolved it.

I had the same issue and I was able to resolve it by changing the charset to ascii from UTF.