SHOW Statistics - Meaning of AvgRowsPerBlock

Database
Enthusiast

SHOW Statistics - Meaning of AvgRowsPerBlock

Hi,

Could somebody help me with the AvgRowsPerBlock column returned in SHOW STATISTICS. 

I have a table with  large columns (each about 64KB) and a datablock size of 256KB. On average i would expect 4 rows per data block. BUt if i run SHOW STATISTICS, the returned value is 337.50. Does anybody know why this number is much higher?

Thanks in advance

Roland

COLLECT SUMMARY STATISTICS

ON TheDatabase.TheTable

VALUES

(

/* Version               */ 6,

/* AvgRowsPerBlock       */ 337.500000,

/* AvgBlockSize (bytes)  */ 256512.000000,

/* AvgRowSize            */ 64033.000000,

);

Roland Wenzlofsky
4 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: SHOW Statistics - Meaning of AvgRowsPerBlock

Hi Roland,

I noticed exactly the same:

AvgRowSize and AvgBlockSize are both correct (vertified by Ferret and COLLECT DEMOGRAPHICS) and AvgRowsPerBlock returns values much higher or lower than expected, including impossible values like 80000.

I never care about it :-) 

Teradata Employee

Optimizer team has opened a bug report to fix the calculation. Good news is that Dieter's solution to ignore it is fine since that value is not used in query optimization from that source.

Enthusiast

I wonder if this information is available somewhere else? I am asking because as far as I know is the usage of secondary indexes dependend from the average rows per data block(in order to determine selectivity)?

I was hoping that this information shown in the SHOW STATISTICS would be used by the Optimizer...and i could use it to estimate index usage.

Roland Wenzlofsky
Teradata Employee

You could do the division yourself. It would be close enough. avgblocksize/avgrowsize