Set System Timezone on Teradata Express

Database
Fan

Set System Timezone on Teradata Express

I have downloaded Teradata Express on a virtual machine and I want to change the default timezone of the system to UTC+2h

Right now it is showing (after executing HELP SESSION)

SESSION TIME:

-04:00

I have tried to change it via dbscontrol and did
modify general 16=2
and when I do
display general

I get

16. System imeZone Hour = 2

So far it looks ok, but after connecting to Teradata I still get UTC -4 as the session time.

I have tried to restart Teradata, but with no effect.
When I do 'date' in the terminal, I get UTC time. I have removed the file 'localtime' from etc.
Please help.

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: Set System Timezone on Teradata Express

The one in /usr/tdbms/etc is just a sample. The normal location is /etc/opt/teradata/tdconfig but even that text file may or may not match the active gdo.

If you really want to be sure you are starting with the current active settings, use "tdlocaledef -reverse current". You can specify where the output goes (-source filename) or it wil be put in tdconfig as tdlocaledef.txt

After you edit the file, use "tdlocaledef -output new" to validate the changes and update the gdo, then restart the database to activate the changes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
6 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Seems like the user has an assigned time zone, check the TimeZoneHour column in dbc.UsersV.

You might remove or change the user's time zone like this:

MODIFY USER foo AS TIME Zone=NULL;
Fan

Thanks, but it seems that is not the problem.
I have checked my user:
SELECT
USERNAME
,TIMEZONEHOUR
,TIMEZONEMINUTE
FROM DBC.USERSV
WHERE USERNAME = 'DBC'

and it gives:

DBC,null,null

Teradata Employee

Does "System TimeZone String" display a value (like 'America Pacific') in dbscontrol?

If so, there is a time zone specified in the SDF via tdlocaledef, which overrides System TimeZone Hour / Minute.

See the tdlocaldef utility documentation for information on how to change or remove this setting.

Fan

Indeed, in dbscontrol
18. System Timezone String = America Eastern
But in the tdlocaledef.txt file in usr/tdbms/etc I see

// System Time Zone string
      TimeZoneString {""}

I think it means that the time zone is not specified in the SDF file. Correct?
Someone had a similar problem, but his TimeZoneString was not empty, from what I understand.
https://community.teradata.com/t5/Tools-Utilities/Set-TimeZoneString-value-using-tdlocaledef-or-dbsc...

Teradata Employee

The one in /usr/tdbms/etc is just a sample. The normal location is /etc/opt/teradata/tdconfig but even that text file may or may not match the active gdo.

If you really want to be sure you are starting with the current active settings, use "tdlocaledef -reverse current". You can specify where the output goes (-source filename) or it wil be put in tdconfig as tdlocaledef.txt

After you edit the file, use "tdlocaledef -output new" to validate the changes and update the gdo, then restart the database to activate the changes.

Fan

Thanks Fred! That worked.
I was only able check this up only now. I was very busy lately.