Storage capacity of Teradata 15.10

Database
Enthusiast

Storage capacity of Teradata 15.10

Hi experts,

In Teradata 15.10 specifications it is mentionaed that storage capacity is 3TB to 234PB and number of nodes is upto 2048. Here 3TB to 234PB is the capacity of each node or the capacity of entire teradata system? can someone help me please?

Thanks in advance.

sri.

3 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Re: Storage capacity of Teradata 15.10

Let's do some calculations :-)

Assuming 6TB per disk 234PB are almost 40,000 disks, that's probably too much for a single server.

234PB * 2048 is almost half a Yottabyte.

It is assumed that a few Exabyte of data are created every day (https://www.adeptia.com/blog/surprising-things-you-dont-know-about-big-data), so a 2048-node Teradata system would be able to store all the data generated in the world for a few months.

Instead of running a million servers Google could simply move to a small Teradata system :-)

Enthusiast

Thanks Dieter. So you mean to say that 234PB is the capability of a Teradata system right? I am new to Teradata and one of my colleague told me that  234PB is a single node capacity :). So I wanna check here.

so if I am expecting more than 234PB Teradata is not recommonded?

Thanks,

Sri.

Senior Apprentice

The biggest Teradata system is running at Ebay and has < 50PB, plus larger Hadoop cluster(s). 

You will hardly find any other RDBMS capable of storing (and processing) 234PB on a single system, but if you're willing to pay Teradata R&D can probably increase this limit :-)