Strange Problem

Database
Enthusiast

Strange Problem

Hi All,

I am facing a very strange issue wherein I am trying to load data into a specific database using some insert scripts.But the data is getting lost after few minutes.

Could anyone please let me know what might be the reason for this ?

Thanks !!!

10 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Strange Problem

Hello,

Can you provide the sample insert script you are using? And are you using temporary tables or not?

Regards,

Adeel
Enthusiast

Hi Adeel,

I am not using any temporary tables and the insert scripts are the actual production scripts.The difference is just that I am trying to insert data in a separate database in production for some testing purposes.

Teradata Employee

interesting .... but there must be someone or something causing 'data to disappear'! .... thinking aloud .... have you tried copying to other DB? and/or checking with peers if anybody is doing this? or is there any dependency with your insert scripts which runs after your script?

also confirm .... if your transaction is being successfully completed and is not rolling-back the data!
Enthusiast

ya its very strange ... I dont have rights to insert data in other production databases except the one I am using.My peers will definitely dont have access rights to delete data in production and my insert scripts have no dependency.

interesting thing is that when I fire the insert script it shows me the no. of records inserted.I could do a count(*) on the table and it shows me the correct recordcount , but after some time ...the data gets lost from the table :-( ...Not sure why this is happening..I have asked the DBA to do an audit on the tables ...

How can I check whether the transaction was successfull ?
Junior Contributor

Hi Ansh,
run a HELP SESSION; and check TRANSACTION SEMANTICS, if it's ANSI or TERADATA.

It's probably ANSI, so you have to submit a COMMIT; before you logoff your session.

Dieter
Enthusiast

Thanks Dieter,

The problem seems to be with the transaction mode only.

Enthusiast

Hi Dieter/All,

Previously I was thinking that the problem was with the transaction mode.I am using Teradata session mode only which I confirm after looking into the Session table.But now I have realized that it might be problem with the Teradata Assistant.

When I fire query , the results are vanished in few minutes but when I ask my team mate to fire the same query using the same user credentials , the results are intact and are not lost..

I am stuck what might be the problem with my Teradata Assistant which is not allowing me to commit any results and the results are getting rolled back ..

Any body there to help?
Enthusiast

Hi,

I think we can use BT ......ET also...right if we are using teradata mode.?

Rgds,
Raja
Junior Contributor

Hi Ansh,
check the setting of Tools - Options - Query - Use Manual Commit Mode for ANSI Sessions, it should be unchecked (see help).

Dieter