String contains an untranslatable character

Database

String contains an untranslatable character

Greetings Experts,

I need to find out what are the columns that has any language characters other than english (unicode with other language characters in it - not dbc.columns.chartype=2)  Teradata version: 13.10

eg: tablea=> cola => unicode => the data in it is in chinese

tableb=> colb => unicode => the data is it is in english

output:// tablea => cola

select translate_check('布第二张专辑' using unicode_to_latin ) 

The above query is failing with the error " 6706 - String contains an untranslatable character".  I have also tried with WITH ERROR option.  

If I could know a  function which returns either 0 or 1 based on the data in it, so that I could find all columns which fail.  (I guess unicode_to_latin fails whenever there are characters other than english, please correct me if I am wrong).

If the above one works, then my query would be 

sel tablename, columnname , translate_check ( a.columnname using unicode_to_latin) as trns_result from dbc.columns a where databasename='RETAIL' and tablename like '%ITEMPPI%';

I tried to use the above SQL and it is failing with the error "3706 - Datatype columnname does not match a defined type name"

Can you please help me out to find a solution for the above 2 issues.

1 REPLY
Teradata Employee

Re: String contains an untranslatable character

You get the error because the function name is translate_chk not translate_check. But this will check the name of the column itself and not the table contents - so won't do what you want.

You would have to individually query each table (and potentially scan all rows / aggregate the results). Also note that translate_chk will return zero for many non-English accented Latin characters and some symbols, and returns non-zero for many symbols that are not Chinese (the single-character TM symbol, for example).