TDWM configuration data - purging practices

Database
Enthusiast

TDWM configuration data - purging practices

Is TDWM configuration data e.g. WlcDefs, RuleDefs, SysCons etc. ever purged?
I've noticed that whenever some modification is made in TDWM the old configuration data is kept in the table with the field RemoveDate, RemoveTime.
Is this data purged after some configured duration? or is it a common practice to purge this data in the industry?

I'm asking this because there are clear instructions about purging the ResUsage and DBQL data in Teradata documents but so far I haven't found anything on TDWM configuration data.

I've also posted this question at: http://teradataquestions.stackexchange.com/questions/39/tdwm-configuration-data-purging-practices
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: TDWM configuration data - purging practices

I find the old definitions too useful to delete.

If you do any sort of historic checks against PDRCINFO.DBQLLogTbl_Hst its useful to join the TDWM.WLCdefs so that I can get the Workload definition other wise I would not understand which workload I was looking at.

So I would say that it is not a good idea to delete it.

Random
Enthusiast

true, it's good for historical data and that's my purpose of asking this, dunno if there are people out there who purge it.

On a similar note, I've observed some limitations to viewing such historical data e.g. Teradata does not maintain history of Users, hence if you delete a user then the rules/workloads containing that user would become meaningless. Similarly there is no history for the configurations of the Priority Scheduler data within the Teradata Manager's PSA module.
Enthusiast

I had not noticed that . Thanks for the warning. Perhaps disabling the user would be a better practice rather than removal, on the other hand you could find unauthorised users having the accounts reenabled by rookie operators etc.
Enthusiast

We asked Teradata's observation about this and they said that they have seen varied practices, however majority has been the ones who do never purge the configuration data.