TOAD tool appears to sample data without the users knowledge; Are there settings to control it?

Database

TOAD tool appears to sample data without the users knowledge; Are there settings to control it?

End users use TOAD to interact with TERADATA at my site. The tool is often seen running SQLs with the following construct without the user's knowledge.

SELECT TOP 1000 *
               FROM SomeDatabase.SomeComplexView

The SQL turns out to be resource intensive (Heavy spool) since it materializes joins with large tables before sampling it.

Have others experienced this before. Is there a known setting in TOAD that can be used to control this?

PS. I googled the internet for relevant threads and didnt find any.

2 REPLIES
N/A

Re: TOAD tool appears to sample data without the users knowledge; Are there settings to control it?

This is how it works in Teradata, the optimizer applies the TOP after creating the full answer set.

Only a plain SELECT from a single table without WHERE/DISTINCT/GROUP BY simply reads the first datablock(s).

Re: TOAD tool appears to sample data without the users knowledge; Are there settings to control it?

Thank you dnoeth, I inferred that.

What I am really looking for is if other TOAD users experienced similar behaviour where the tool submits this TOP X statement without their knowledge and know of a setting in TOAD that could restrict such SQLs from being submitted!