TPT instead of FastLoad

Database

TPT instead of FastLoad

Hello,

Thank in advance for your time.

Is it better on TD 14 to use TPT (tpt stream) instead of fastload ? Assuming that we have the same sources , network , DB ?

Furthermore , the issue about varchar columns defined and the data that TD has to transfer (defined and not actual length of varchar columns) does it exist on TPT?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES

Re: TPT instead of FastLoad

The TPT operators are analogues of the standalone utilities.  Each has it's place in the ELT world and works differently.  It can't really be said that TPT Stream is better than Fastload, they serve different purposes.

It really sounds like you should spend some quality time with the TPT Orange Books.  The TD engineering and support personnell have put many many hours of effort into creating that documentation.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with "...the issue about varchar columns...", yes TPT Operators will load varchar columns...

Cheers

Hello,

Yes ,  i have to read the documentation , i know that it is not the correct approach from this forum.

I just wanted to know that if tpt behave as fastload on varchar columns ( transfer the DDL length and not the actual one).

thank you very much.

I was always under the assumption that the legacy load utilities (fastload, multiload, tpump,fastexp) would some day be depricated and that all new development would be added to the TPT utilities.  I don't know where that stands now but always approached from a 'use at your own risk' perspective.  Does anyone know if this has softened over the years?

Joe