Table occupying space without any rows

Database
Enthusiast

Table occupying space without any rows

Hi Experts,

My loads are failing because the database is running out of space. When I checked the table size of the table being loaded it shows it is occupying 90GB(including the skew). Whereas the table has zero records in it. Can you please let me know what exactly is causing the table to occupy 90GB of space even when it has no  rows in it.

Thanks and Regards

Abdul

4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Table occupying space without any rows

This are the latest findings...

Even when I truncate and reload the same data the table space keeps on increasing with every run. I am seeing that the table is not releasing the space. 

In my knowlege if the data is deleted from table the tablesize goes down to zero. Has anything changed recently in any of the Teradata release?

Junior Contributor

This might be due to an active Online Archive on that table, check using dbc.ArchiveLoggingObjsV.

Either run an ArcMain job with LOGGING ONLINE ARCHIVE OFF.

Or drop & recreate the table.

And then find out why this was not switched off in the matching backup job :-)

Enthusiast

Thanks Dieter. The suggestion worked.

Enthusiast

Hi, Dieter

1.While querying the view dbc.archiveloggingobjsv; it is blocked by username ALL with write lock on dbc.archiveloggingobjsv. 

2. Even if we try to clear the online archive lock on a database; it is blocked by user ALL; write lock on DBC.ALL. The HUT lock is relesed before proceeding  with above two steps.

And we can not release lock on DBC.ALL through bteq or others.

Any ideas?