Table size are different from DEV to PROD

Database

Table size are different from DEV to PROD

Hi all,... Fist time posted long time reader.. 

I'm encountering what is to me a very odd problem. This is the first time I encountered this problem. (really just became an issue since we're close to our PROD DB size limit)

In my DEV environment my table size is 4gb. When I use SAS DIS and move that table from DEV to PROD, it becomes 4X its size and is now 20gb in PROD. 

I've compared the 2 tables and they both have the exact same table definition (Index and all) and exactly the same number of rows. 

.... (It's as if the table is saved as a .jpg in DEV and .png in PROD) ... like theres some type of compression going on in DEV?

I looked up other tables from past migration and it looks like this is the case for other tables. Their size are 4-5 times larger in PROD than in our DEV environment. 

I'm wondering what type of configuration causes this. Clearly it's some type of database configuration.

I was wondering if the community has any insight to offer in order for me to open a ticket with my DBA. 

3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Table size are different from DEV to PROD

It's likely that DEV has block-level compression enabled by default, while PROD does not.

Block compression reduces space and I/O at the expense of increased CPU consumption. Talk with your DBA to determine whether or not to apply block compression to specific tables in PROD, even if it's not the default.

Teradata Employee

Or perhaps Dev is an appliance platform with hardware compression built in. 

Thanks for the quick answers.

Is there's a way for me, to identify those parametres with a query on both database environment?