Teradata 15.10 REGEXP_SIMILAR Expression Not Matching As Expected

Database
Enthusiast

Teradata 15.10 REGEXP_SIMILAR Expression Not Matching As Expected

Hi Folks,

Long time listener, first time caller...

I'm having some problems with a Regular Expression that works as expected on Oracle but is not matching on Teradata 15.10. I'm trying to match invalid Italian tax IDs where the user has tried to provide a dummy value consisting of the ISO country code ('IT') and a series of the same digit 10 or more times. For example, IT99999999990 is my test value. The code that I am having problems with is as follows:

REGEXP_SIMILAR('IT99999999990','^IT(\d)\1{9,}','i')

The regular express should, starting at the beginning of the string, match the 'IT' country code, check that the next character is a digit, and then that the next 9 or more digits are the same as the first digit.

This should return 1 (match) but instead it's returning 0 (no match). I'm therefore wondering if the syntax I'm using is not understood by Teradata.

Does anyone have any ideas where I am going wrong and how I should change my regex so that it matches the sample string?

13 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata 15.10 REGEXP_SIMILAR Expression Not Matching As Expected

Apparently Teradata does not recognize the "\1" back-reference to the parenthetical expression.  I can't think of another way to express the pattern you describe without a complex (ugly) CASE operation.  I've even tried using '^IT(0{9,})|(1{9,})|(2{9,})|(3{9,})|(4{9,})|(5{9,})|(6{9,})|(7{9,})|(8{9,})|(9{9,})', and it seems to me something like that should work, except that '^IT9{9,}' doesn't even match, nor does '^IT[9]{9,}'.  The only thing that does match is '^IT\d{9,}', but that is not what you need.  If no one else offers a solution here, I hope you will open an incident with the Teradata supprot center.

Enthusiast

Thank you, GJ, for at least confirming that I'm not going crazy.

Teradata Employee

Hi,

Seems it's an issue with regexp_similar, works as intended with regexp_substr :

REGEXP_SUBSTR('IT99999999990','^IT(\d)\1{9,}',1,1,'i')

(that you can use as workaround with the is (not) null predicate)

Seems there's no incident opened about this issue. If possible, please open one.

Enthusiast

Hi Guys,

I'd be happy to open an Incident to report this issue but I seem to be unable to do so. While I am signed in on the Teradata Access Portal so that I have the option to "Create an Incident", when I select it I get popped back to the same homepage again and the URL includes "userNotFoundException%3Dtrue". Selecting the drop-down menu for my user in the top-right of the screen just gives me the option to "Sign out", so this is making me think there is an issue with my user account that I created yesterday and which seems to work fine here.

Teradata Employee

You need a Tays account to open an incident, it's a special access within access.teradata.com

Either your customer has a tays access with its account and he can create the incident

or From https://access.teradata.com ,use the “create account” option at top-right. Select the “need TaYS” option, you'll need to enter your customer number.(ask your customer to get it)

The label "create account" is a bit misleading, in fact you can reenter your existing account and ask special Tays access.

Teradata Employee

Not a bug.

REGEXP_SIMILAR tests if the entire string is "similar", i.e. the pattern is implicitly treated as if it starts with ^ and ends with $.

Your test data has a trailing 0 so does not match. Using something like 'IT(\d)\1{9,}.*' as the pattern would work.

Enthusiast

Hi Fred,

Thank you for the update and clarification. I have tried updating the statement as recommended but it seems that Teradata is still not matching the pattern:

SELECT REGEXP_SIMILAR('IT99999999990','^IT(\d)\1{9,}.*','i');

Do you get the same result, or is this matching for you? If I remove the trailing zero from the string to check and use the original statement, which should match exactly, the result is still 0 (No Match).

Teradata Employee

Well, I concur with mpeaston, when I first replied, I did some testing with way simpler patterns (fully matching the source string) and I still confirm backreferences don't work with regexp_similar...

Teradata Employee

Yes, the corrected pattern works (returns 1) for me on TD15.10.0.7 (with or without the redundant ^ at the start).

Is it possible you have a SYSLIB.REGEXP_SIMILAR user-defined function which behaves differently from the Teradata-supplied (and supported) TD_SYSFNLIB.REGEXP_SIMILAR? The session default database and SYSLIB are searched before TD_SYSFNLIB.

You can also use REGEXP_INSTR to test if a string "contains" a pattern versus "matches" the pattern.