Teradata Demo Configuration

Database
Teradata Employee

Teradata Demo Configuration

How do I change the number of AMPs for the demo version, the vconfig.txt comes with a configuration of 2 AMPs, I'd like to add more vProcs but I don't seem to get it right...

Andres
5 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Teradata Demo Configuration

Hello Andres,

I am not sure why you would like to increase the number of vprocs from Teradata Demo. Is it for practicing the Teradata configuration process?
The Teradata demo software is made available to ready to use, and you should not expect a great performance from it. You may do anything you need using the 2 Amps and 1 PE configured from the Demo Installation program, what makes the demo a great tool for testing Teradata features, with a low data volume, of course.

Fabio
Teradata Employee

Fabio, thanks for your reply, I understand your point, I thought it would be interesting to see the impact of running Teradata on a 2 amp config versus a 4 amp config since I'm running it in a multicore processor and because vpprocs are ultimately threads I would expect the 4 amps to perform better in a quad core cpu...
With regards to performance I wouldn't expect the demo to perform well in a db beyond 4 GB as you noted, but in smaller size DBs I see no reason why its performance should be less than a regular installation given the same hardware, I decided to play with this demo since it is easy to install so I can mess around with it and reinstall if I brake it, to this point nobody has tried to change this config in a demo and no one has provided an answer as to how would it be done if it can be done at all, in fact there is not much info either on doing it on a regular installation, the whole pe/amp configuration seems to be a little bit of a mystery

Andres

Enthusiast

Andres,

Changing the Teradata configuration is very tricky, and it is not an easy task in my opinion. My experience with Oracle and Sybase SQL Server showed me that those tools are easier to install and configure in relation to Teradata.
If you are interested in getting more knowledge on how to manipulate vprocs (AMPs and PEs) and how they could affect, you could take a look at "Teradata Utilities" manual, specially at "Config" tool (if you have not done it, yet)!
I just do not know how the config utility will behave with Teradata demo. Just do not forget that you have a limit of 4 Gb of disk.

I hope this helps!

Fabio
Enthusiast

Historically, adding AMPs to the Teradata configuration has not been considered a customer activity. Unless the policy has changed recently, it is always performed by a Teradata field engineer, usually when new nodes or disk arrays are delivered. AFAIK, no complete external documentation of the procedure exists.
Enthusiast

I agree with Jim's comments!
Playing with Teradata Demo will provide you with the knowledge to understand the mechanics and to discuss about Teradata VProcs manipulation.
Typically, in real life, Teradata technical support will define what steps you have to follow if you need to deal with this subject. I would never consider to play in a living system, even in development, because if something goes wrong, the installation may be "lost".
Regards,