Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware now available

Database
The Teradata Database channel includes discussions around advanced Teradata features such as high-performance parallel database technology, the optimizer, mixed workload management solutions, and other related technologies.
Enthusiast

Re: Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware now available

When can we expect a 14.10 VM?

Thanks,

Mark

Teradata Employee

Our goal is GCA + 60 days for the VM images. GCA for 14.10 was 6/30, so expect images before 9/1. We are currently in a build and test cycle.

Hi

i am new to Teradata and have been assigned a POC for Teradata. While installing teradata on VM, I am facing some issues:-

1).Followed http://developer.teradata.com/database/articles/introduction-to-teradata-express-for-vmware-player

2). Followed http://developer.teradata.com/database/articles/teradata-express-14-0-for-vmware-user-guide but I am unable to launch Viewpoint. Is Viewpoint necesary?

3). I try to connect to Teradata express but get teh following error:-

com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.JDBCException: [Teradata JDBC Driver] [TeraJDBC 14.00.00.01] [Error 1000] [SQLState 08S01] Login failure for Connection to testDB Mon Aug 05 00:51:48 EDT 2013 socket orig=testDB cid=1997c457 sess=0 java.net.UnknownHostException: testDB  at java.net.Inet6AddressImpl.lookupAllHostAddr(Native Method)  at java.net.InetAddress$1.lookupAllHostAddr(Unknown Source)  at java.net.InetAddress.getAddressFromNameService(Unknown Source)  at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(Unknown Source)  at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(Unknown Source)  at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(Unknown Source)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF$Lookup.<init>(TDNetworkIOIF.java:182)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.connectToHost(TDNetworkIOIF.java:281)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.createSocketConnection(TDNetworkIOIF.java:130)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.<init>(TDNetworkIOIF.java:116)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.TDSession.getIO(TDSession.java:579)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.GenericLogonController.run(GenericLogonController.java:94)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.TDSession.<init>(TDSession.java:208)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdk6.JDK6_SQL_Connection.<init>(JDK6_SQL_Connection.java:30)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdk6.JDK6ConnectionFactory.constructConnection(JDK6ConnectionFactory.java:22)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:130)  at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:120)  at com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver.doConnect(TeraDriver.java:220)  at com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver.connect(TeraDriver.java:153)  at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataJDBCConnection.makeConnection(TeradataJDBCConnection.java:277)  at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataJDBCConnection.createConnection(TeradataJDBCConnection.java:121)  at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.internalCreateConnection(DriverConnectionBase.java:105)  at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.open(DriverConnectionBase.java:54)  at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.drivers.jdbc.JDBCConnection.open(JDBCConnection.java:73)  at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataPingFactory.createConnection(TeradataPingFactory.java:36)  at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionFactoryProvider.createConnection(ConnectionFactoryProvider.java:83)  at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionProfile.createConnection(ConnectionProfile.java:360)  at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.createTestConnection(PingJob.java:76)  at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.run(PingJob.java:59)  at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorFactory.makeDriverJDBCException(ErrorFactory.java:93)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorFactory.makeDriverJDBCException(ErrorFactory.java:68)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorFactory.makeIoJDBCException(ErrorFactory.java:206)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorAnalyzer.analyzeIoError(ErrorAnalyzer.java:61)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.createSocketConnection(TDNetworkIOIF.java:137)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.<init>(TDNetworkIOIF.java:116)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.TDSession.getIO(TDSession.java:579)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.GenericLogonController.run(GenericLogonController.java:94)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.TDSession.<init>(TDSession.java:208)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdk6.JDK6_SQL_Connection.<init>(JDK6_SQL_Connection.java:30)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdk6.JDK6ConnectionFactory.constructConnection(JDK6ConnectionFactory.java:22)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:130)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:120)

at com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver.doConnect(TeraDriver.java:220)

at com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver.connect(TeraDriver.java:153)

at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataJDBCConnection.makeConnection(TeradataJDBCConnection.java:277)

at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataJDBCConnection.createConnection(TeradataJDBCConnection.java:121)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.internalCreateConnection(DriverConnectionBase.java:105)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.open(DriverConnectionBase.java:54)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.drivers.jdbc.JDBCConnection.open(JDBCConnection.java:73)

at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataPingFactory.createConnection(TeradataPingFactory.java:36)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionFactoryProvider.createConnection(ConnectionFactoryProvider.java:83)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionProfile.createConnection(ConnectionProfile.java:360)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.createTestConnection(PingJob.java:76)

at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.run(PingJob.java:59)

at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

Caused by: java.net.UnknownHostException: testDB

at java.net.Inet6AddressImpl.lookupAllHostAddr(Native Method)

at java.net.InetAddress$1.lookupAllHostAddr(Unknown Source)

at java.net.InetAddress.getAddressFromNameService(Unknown Source)

at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(Unknown Source)

at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(Unknown Source)

at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(Unknown Source)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF$Lookup.<init>(TDNetworkIOIF.java:182)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.connectToHost(TDNetworkIOIF.java:281)

at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.createSocketConnection(TDNetworkIOIF.java:130)

... 21 more

Can you please help me ASAP?

Teradata Employee

Hi,

No need to run Viewpoint to use the database. If you do need to then the recommendation is to use a machine with at least 8GB of physical RAM and use the 1TB image.

Are you trying to connect from outside the host where the VM is running? If yes, you need to set up the network connectivity. The VM starts up with a local IP address.

Cliff

Just installed TD Express, but I get connection issues.  Here is the message I'm getting.  I have rebooted the entire VM with no luck.

TDExpress14.0.3_Sles10:~ # bteq

Teradata BTEQ 14.00.00.05 for LINUX.

Copyright 1984-2012, Teradata Corporation. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Enter your logon or BTEQ command:

.logon 127.0.0.1/dbc

.logon 127.0.0.1/dbc

Password:

*** Warning: RDBMS CRASHED OR SESSIONS RESET.  RECOVERY IN PROGRESS.

"bteq" gets stuck on this and will not proceed beyond the RDBMS CRASHED message.

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

Teradata Employee

Hi Jesse,

Which image are you using? 4GB, 40GB or 1TB?

The database is stopped. To restart it

/etc/init.d/tpa start

Let me know.

Cliff

Cliff,

Regarding the "Warning: RDBMS CRASHED OR SESSIONS RESET.  RECOVERY IN PROGRESS.".  There does appear to be some activity on the system.

07:12:44 PM     CPU     %user     %nice   %system   %iowait    %steal     %idle

07:12:45 PM     all     16.00      0.00     34.00      0.00      0.00     50.00

07:12:46 PM     all     11.50      0.00     38.50      0.00      0.00     50.00

07:12:47 PM     all     13.00      0.00     37.00      0.00      0.00     50.00

07:12:48 PM     all     12.00      0.00     38.00      0.00      0.00     50.00

07:12:49 PM     all     10.89      0.00     39.60      0.00      0.00     49.50

07:12:50 PM     all     11.11      0.00     38.89      0.00      0.00     50.00

07:12:51 PM     all     14.78      0.00     35.96      0.49      0.00     48.77

07:12:52 PM     all     13.00      0.00     37.00      0.00      0.00     50.00

The system is dedicated to my use and should more or less idle since I'm the only one logged in.  When I check the process listing to see who is consuming the time, the only process that is changing time significantly from interval to inteveral is "bteq".  Appears for whatever reason the database is doing some type of recovery work.

TDExpress14.0.3_Sles10:~ # ps -e | grep bteq

7219 pts/0    00:17:18 bteq

TDExpress14.0.3_Sles10:~ # ps -e | grep bteq

7219 pts/0    00:25:08 bteq

TDExpress14.0.3_Sles10:~ #

Maybe I should consider deleting the TD VM from my VM library and attempt to create a fresh one.

Thanks,

Jesse

Enthusiast

There are VMWare versions of Teradata Express 12.0, 13.0 and 13.10 still listed on the Teradata Express page.  Are these "lifetime" licenses as opposed to 14.0 which is a 90 day license

Teradata Employee

Hello,

I have exact same issue as scootjam.

TD14_0.0.3  (4GB) version is crashing when bteq logon commands are issued.

I get a message:#PdeMain NOT started, PANIC-LOOP-DETECTED. Please delete file /var/opt/teradata/tdtemp/PanicLoopDetected

I couldn't located this folder.

Can anyone advice how to solve this issue?

Many thanks!

Teradata Employee

Delete the PacicLoopDetected file in the /var/opt/teradata/tdtemp directory.

Then restart the database with /etc/init.d/tpa start