Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware now available

Database
The Teradata Database channel includes discussions around advanced Teradata features such as high-performance parallel database technology, the optimizer, mixed workload management solutions, and other related technologies.
Enthusiast

Re: Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware now available

Hi Cliff,

I am attempting to run a query from the SQL Assistant and the moment I hit the RUN button I am being prompted to provide the DSN name. Below it states the following:

Select the file data source that describes the driver that you wish to connect to. You can use any file data source that refers to an ODBC driver which is installed on your machine.

What is the name of this DSN file and where can I find it?

Thank you in advance.

M

Teradata Employee

assuming you are running sql assistant on your host windows machine, you need to set up a connection in sql assistant. go to tools, define odbc source to define it, add, teradata. enter a name of your choice, and then the ip address for your virtual machine. go back the teradata prompt and enter the following:

ipconfig

and look for the inet address. enter this in the sql assistant "teradata server info box. enter dbc for user name and password and hit ok.

Enthusiast

Thank you smazingo for your help. My knowledge of Teradata is very limited and I am having difficulty understanding some of your instructions. Can you please respond to the questions below.

1) What’s the IP address of the virtual machine? Is it 192.168.47.128?

2) Where can I find the ‘Teradata prompt’ you are referring to? How do I get there?

3) Where I am supposed to be looking for the ‘inet address’? Is it supposed to be on my C drive? Which folder?

The more detailed information you would be able to provide the better.

Thank you in advance.

M

Hi, I need to install teradata in my personal laptop which is Windows 8 64 Bit and want to use all features of Teradata like SQL assistant, Fast Load, Multi Load etc.. any there any sequence of software i need to install like first install TTU and then TD express.. please guide as I am new teradata..  but again main requirement is to install TD in laptop Window 8 64 BIT.... Any help is appreciated.

Teradata Employee

responding to philos188 and the question about the teradata prompt... assuming you are seeing a blue screen with a couple of icons, you need to look down on the line at the bottom and see if there is a window to click on to open (terminal) and the teradata prompt should be there. let me know if this helps. sorry about the delay. 

Teradata Employee

to td_bhart1, first off we haven't tested window 8 at this point. aside from that, the windows ttu download package runs natively in windows and can be installed at any time. The teradata express version of the teradata database runs using vmware player that is hosted on the windows system. so you'd need to download and install vmware player for windows and install that on the windows system and then instantiate teradata express from within player.

Enthusiast

I'm trying to get Express to load on my Mac laptop, but the VM stuff is not quite clear here. I've downloaded VM Fusion and it gives me a plethera of options to install on my laptop.  I can do Windows partitions, Mac partions, Linux partitions, etc.  However, I don't see anywhere on these forums what exactly is required for that VM partition, so that I can run Teradata Express.  Perhaps I'm just reading the posts incorrectly, but could you help me understand the VM Fusion requirements, so that I can load Teradata?  Do you want that partition to be OS X, Windows, other?

Thanks.

Junior Contributor

Teradata Express is a pre-configured VMWare image. When you installed VMWare Fusion you're done.

Unzip Express into a folder and double-click the file (which actually is a folder) TDExpress14.0_Sles10_40GB (or whatever is the name). This should open Fusion and automatically start the VM. 

Teradata Employee

Hi,

About the file TDExpress14.10_Sles10_1TB_VP_30cache.7z,

what dose "_30cache" mean ?

soken

Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip on firing up VMWare that worked great.  However, I'm on to the next problem.  I double click on the TDExpress14.10_Sles11.vmx file to start up the instance of Teradata and I can see it fire up VMFusion. It starts the loading processing and then about 2 minutes in it gets an error "cannot find a valid peer process to connect to".  Any thoughts?