Teradata Express on Virtual Box

Database
Teradata Employee

Teradata Express on Virtual Box

While it's completly unsupported and only seems to work with the SLES 11 Express images it is possible to get Teradata Express to work on Virtual Box.

I followed these instructions http://techathlon.com/how-to-run-a-vmdk-file-in-oracle-virtualbox and after a couple of attempts managed to get a TD Express 15.00 image to come up in Virtual Box (on my MAC).

The secret is you have to attach all three Vdisks (OS, PDISK0 and PDISK1) to the IDE controller before you power up the VM for the first time.

Go into the settings pain with the VM powered off and on the Storage tab you will see the OS/DBS disk will be there. On the IDE Controller select the Add Hard Disk + sign on the right and brows to the PDISK0.vmdk file, repeat for PDISK1.vmdk.

Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 11.49.11 AM.png

Power on as normal and you should get a TD Express Image running in Virtual Box (remember Express is not a supported product and even less so in an untested environment).

A339AC62-14C1-4524-B7A4-172694BB978A.png

The only thing that is not working is the desktop does not come up (You just get the root login prompt), so there must be something not quite right with the image configuration but the basic DBS functionality works.

Remember and Open up port 1025 in VirtualBox so you can access Teradata from your Host environment.
4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Express on Virtual Box

What is your current network setup in VirtualBox? I want the vm guest to access the internet and I want my host (laptop) to access the vm guest while under Teradata Network. Thanks

Teradata Employee

Not done TD for a while, but typically I do a NAT setup with Port forwarding from the VM (1025 for the Database) through to usually the same on the host. You would then use Studio/IDE to make a connection to localhost:1025 to connect to the database.

Not sure about access from the TD VM out through your host in this setup, again not tried any of this in a long time.

Teradata Employee

Ok, I'll try NAT and see if it sticks. Thanks

The desktop doesn't show up because the X11 config is tailored for vmware tools.

Uninstall vmware tools by running /usr/bin/vmware-uninstall-tools.pl. After that install VirtualBox guest additions.

When installed, run yast command from command line and reconfigure X11.

Then it will work, but I deem it unnecessary and disable it anyway.