Teradata For Tranasactional applications

Database
Enthusiast

Teradata For Tranasactional applications

Hi All,

This is regarding the use of Teradata for transactional applications. As I understand the Teradata database, its is designed for warehouses and I have never heard of it being used as a transactional database.

But to my surprise, the current client that I am working with, would like to use an existing teradata server as the database for a transactional application. Its basically an internet based application which accesses/updates the database on a transaction basis. It is something similar to a typical retail banking application. We are expecting 50-100 online users for this application and all of them will be updating the information simultaneously.

I would like to know whether Teradata can support this type of usage. I guess theoretically it should but I was just wondering id this is practically feasible. Are there any similar applications over Teradata anywhere in the world?

I know it sounds a little strange but I would appreciate some detailed advise on this. Also please let me know if I can refer to some documentation on this. Many thanks in advance.

Regards
Andy
3 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Teradata For Tranasactional applications

It's very critical that you take into consideration the concurrent aspects of the application for each and every query. TD (I guess it's more to do with the way parallel architecture RDBMS work with locking mechanisms) is very notorious for deadlocks when it comes to concurrent transactional applications. (even in the harmless looking implicit transaction mode)

That's mostly because Table level and rowhash level locks haven't been so good in putting up with each other.

There's a knowledge article available at Teradata @ your service website which describes most of the dead lock scenarios. I suggest a thorough read, before starting to design the system.

Enthusiast

If teradata is used for OLTP,
it should be a database that often do insert/delete operations, not update
also, there should be bulks of data in/out , not bulks of piece of data in/out
Enthusiast

Hi Luckyhansh,

Can you please explain on why you say updates are not preferred or advisable?

Regards
Kondal