Testing the PPI waters

Database
N/A

Testing the PPI waters

For our financial applications there are many tables that have columns accounting_year (samllint) and accounting_period (byteint).
These 2 columns may appear in the Primary Index both UPI and NUPI.
These 2 columns also may not be part of a UPI or NUPI.
The majority of the tables contain data for 2 years + the current year.

There seems to be many ways to partition the tables:
Partition by accounting_year + accounting_period; or
Partition by accounting_year * accounting_period; etc.

Partition by Case_N (
accounting_year=2005 and accounting_period=1,
accounting_year=2007 and accounting_period=12); etc.

The users will usually specify both accounting_year and accounting_period in their constraints.
The users will never specify (accounting_year + accounting_period) or (accounting_year * accounting_period) in their constraints.

Any ideas on the most effective way to partition tables using the above 2 columns?

Thanks for the feedback.

Rgds,
Marius
3 REPLIES

Re: Testing the PPI waters

For your tables whose PI is not a subset of {ACCOUNTING_YEAR, ACCOUNTING_PERIOD} columns , you can have a range expression of the following kind ... would help you with deleting old data and adding new ranges later.

Partition by RANGE_N (
ACCOUNTING_YEAR*100 + ACCOUNTING_PERIOD BETWEEN 200501 AND 200512 EACH 1, 200601 AND 200612 EACH 1, 200701 AND 200712 EACH 1
);

I would doubt if using either accounting_year or accounting_period on it's own for PI would be a good idea ( assuming these are large tables ... ), since it would lead to skew. even if you use both (year,period) as the PI , you would still have only about 36 distinct values and will still have skew. .
N/A

Thanks Joe, accounting_year and accounting_period will not be utilized stand alone for UPI or NUPI due to the skew factor that you mention.
I like you range expression and will test it out.
For my clarification when the user specifies accounting_year and period in their constraints the optimzer will apply the range expression and therefore be able to utilize partition elimination, correct?

Thnx,
Marius

Yes, (I did some basic checking before selling you that :-) )

That being said remember that you need to collect statistics on the special column PARTITION itself.