Tricky stats collection

Database
Enthusiast

Tricky stats collection

Hi All,

I have a table that has 203 columns.The first three together are the PI for the table (say A,B,C).The other 200 columns are in the following pattern

D001,

DOO1_TXT,

D002,

D002_TXT,

D100,

D100_TXT

We use the following table in a SQL that runs very frequently.This sql uses any of the pair of  "D" columns (say D010,D010_TEXT OR D035,D035_TEXT).In this case collecting stats on this pair helps the SQl a lot by retuning it in just few seconds but i dont know if collecting stats on this 100 pairs is allowed or is a good idea or not and even if it is I DONT WANT A TABLE WITH STATS ON 100 COLUMN PAIRS.

Can someone please suggest on how to deal with cases like this. i know this info might not be enough ,i would love  to answer more questions to clarify the issue.

Thanks

Mike

3 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Re: Tricky stats collection

Hi Mike,

of course you can collect 100 stats on a single table if you actually need them, but afaik there's a limit of 32 multicolumn stats on a single table.

Do you really need both columns, looks like there's a relation between them?

These column names look denormalized, did you ever think about normalizing the table?

Enthusiast

Dieter,

These are not part of the PI and hence will count as the multicolumn stats ( if i am not wrong).

The the column D100 is a Number to represent the BRANCH and D100_TXT is the description of the branch on which we filter the results.hence there is a soft relation between them but nothing in terms of data are they related.

I havent thought about normalizing this ,as this the project is too deep into production that would be the last option that i can keep to solve this.

Senior Apprentice

As you're limited to 32 multicolumn stats you might try if single column stats might work, too.