Trying to use the MetaData Services for multiple type databases

Database

Trying to use the MetaData Services for multiple type databases

I am looking into possibly using the Teradata Meta Data Services to store not only Teradata but other RDBMS's such as SQL Server, Oracle, etc. Has anyone successfully implemented this in their environment? If so how did you approach your solution? I have successfully imported our Teradata databases. Just need some guidance how to use this for other databases. I have read where it can be done.
4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Trying to use the MetaData Services for multiple type databases

Although MDS does not come with a tool to extract directly from other RDBMS it does provide interfaces (Java, COM) and XML scripting that will allow you to load metadata from other sources.

You could for example develop a Java application that uses something like JDBC or some richer Java framework to read the Schema for one of these RDBMS and then calls the MDS Java API or generate the MDS XML to write the Database, Table, View, Column,etc., metadata into the Database Information Metamodel (DIM) in MDS.

The Database class description in MDS contains a property called DatabaseType which allows you to identify the RDBMS source type. So if the metadata came from Oracle, SQL Server, or something else, you would write the corresponding RDBMS value for this property. Then you can identify the RDBMS source of the metadata.

Thanks for the reply. What I am looking for is more details other than the basic TD documentation on how to use the MetaBrowse program to import metadata from another SQL database. I am using the Erwin Modeler software to try and create the export file but not sure how to use that file against the MetaBrowse import process for XML files.
Enthusiast

If you look at the MDS FAQ (http://developer.teradata.com/tools/articles/frequently-asked-questions-about-teradata-meta-data-services), it says that MDS XML Bridge support "CA AllFusion ERwin Data Modeler 7.2 ". From the document what I understood, if any tool which can export Meta Data in CWM/XMI Schema format, Teradata MDS and Import that MetaData through for example MetaXML Command Line utility. Importing Data through MetaXML is two step process : It first transforms the CWM/XMI XML into MetaXML format and then Import the transformed XML into MDS Repository.

Enthusiast

I don't understand why I would bother loading these. This data is only useful if it is integrated. Otherwise it is just another data basement to store data I cannot use.

The documentation says the there is no linkage between what is loaded in the CWM model and the DIM model. What is the point of loading this data if there is no linkage between them?

"The imported XML currently is not linked to objects in the MDS DIM, as this would require a

significant amount of user input. (This is a candidate for a future enhancement.)" - Teradata Meta Data Services Administrator Guide v13.10, pg 277