Upgrade TD14.10 and Reserved Words

Database
Teradata Employee

Upgrade TD14.10 and Reserved Words

I'm currently working on the Database upgrade on TD14.10. Concerning the reserved words I get a long list of conflict names (reserved names) that should be renamed or double-quoted.

Certainly it will take a lot of time to rename and to test.

Any body has experience on it? What if I'd just ignore and start installing TD14.10?

Thanks.  

6 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Upgrade TD14.10 and Reserved Words

You mean SYSLIB.SQLRestrictedWords  where you have  keywords???

If it is me, even though if I am almost 100% sure, I take a backup somewhere. It may become handy somewhere down the line when it calls for explanation of code breaks..... 

I can go for a quick comparison too(sort and then compare in excel or unix)

Finally, you see what is important.

Teradata Employee

Thank you Raja.

Because renaming all conflict words will be quite time-consuming (incl. testing), I'd like to know what will happen after the upgrade if I just ignore the reserved words and don't change anything at all. Put another way, are there any critical consequences if the conflict words have not been renamed? 

Teradata Employee

There should not be too many new reserved words.  In general, developers try to avoid adding new reserved words, especially ones that might cause a conflict.  

Are you perhaps referring to new non-reserved keywords?   While it is recommended that they not be used as names to avoid confusion, there is no requirement to do so.

Thanks, -Carrie

Teradata Employee

Carrie,

I really meant the reserved words. To be more precise, there are not many reserved words (for TPT). However, the few words are being used in many tables. At now, I don't think to rename all these names in all affected tables but rather check all TPT scripts to find out only those that contain conflict words and change only these names. So the to-do list could be shortened significally.

Thanks.    

Teradata Employee

How many tables/scripts are there we are talking about?

Also is there any ETL/BI tool being used which might have an impact?

Is the solution in production?

Which current version of TD are you using?

Hello All,

If anyone of you have resolved the issue of reserved words in TD14.10, please help me with the approach/methodology. I would be helpful to you.

Thanks,

Syed