What exactly is Session?

Database
Enthusiast

What exactly is Session?

Hi,

I want to know what exactly is meant by session.
I can understand that each PE can establish 120 session.

Lets consider it is a single node system with N PE's and M AMP's. Suppose i have a multi-load query, where i specify session 20
Does that mean that for each PE will establish 20 sessions with each of the M AMP's ? Is my understanding fine ?

Regards,
Ravi
3 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Re: What exactly is Session?

Hi Ravi,
a session is connected to any of the existing PEs on any of the nodes in the system.
If you request more than one session they're distributed round robin, so 4 sessions on a 4 node system result in 1 session per node.
The number of AMPs on the system doesn't matter at all, so in your example 20 sessions are used.

Btw, 20 MultiLoad sessions for a single node system are probably too much...

Dieter
Enthusiast

Thanks Dnoeth

Ok i think this clears my misunderstanding that a session is established between and AMP and PE. In actual a session is established between an TDP and a PE(i hope i am right this time).
Also i had a misunderstanding that an PE can communicate with and AMP under its own node, but i guess a PE can communicate with any of the AMP's any other nodes also.

also the 20 sessions was an arbitrary number which i gave as an example i was knowing its very high!!

Thanks Again

Cheers,
Ravindra
Senior Apprentice

Hi Ravindra,
yes, you're right, any PE/AMP can send messages to any AMP/PE within the system via BYNET.
And sessions are established between TDP (on Mainframes, MTDP on LAN-clients) and a PE.

Dieter