Which is less cost effective between TPT and ARCMAIN ?

Database
Enthusiast

Which is less cost effective between TPT and ARCMAIN ?

I am doing some POC with both TPT and ARCMAIN.

My understanding is that ARCMAIN will consume more system resources compared to TPT.

Please confirm. what is the advantage of TPT over ARCMAIN.

which is advisable ?

• ARC RESTORE
  • ARCMAIN
  • tpt
  • TPT Export
  • TPT LOAD
3 REPLIES
Senior Supporter

Re: Which is less cost effective between TPT and ARCMAIN ?

Hi,

To be honest this sounds a little bit like comparing 'apples to oranges'. TPT and ARC are typically used in completely different circumstances and for different purposes.

The only valid comparison (in my opinion) is to compare TPT Extract with ARC. At least both are extracting data from a Teradata system.

Even if this is what you're doing then which is more/least cost effective will depend on what your're doing. Some thoughts:

• ARC is often used to archive a complete table. TPT could be used to extract very selective rows and columns.
  • ARC can be used to archive selected partitions or a PPI table. TPT could be used to extract very selective rows and columns.

The above considerations could mean that one method uses much more or fewer resources than the other.

It also depends on how you want to use the output from either of the above methods.

• The file produced by ARC can really only be read by ARC.
  • The output from TPT could be read by many types of program.

Does that give you some pointers?

Cheers,

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
Enthusiast

Thanks dave. make sense. Also I heard like there are more chances ARCMAIN will degrade system performance . I am not sure whether this is correct statement or not.

Is this True.  Any thoughts ?

Senior Supporter

Hi,

Again I think it depends on what you're doing.

If you tell ARC to archive a multi-billion row table then yes, other concurrent processes will probably be impacted. If ARC is just archiving a 20 row reference table then that shouldn't be a problem.

Conversely, I'm sure I could write a TPT extract script which really impacts concurrent users on the system Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com