Within transaction, how to find keys from one table and use those to delete from other tables in a single request?

Database
sdc
Enthusiast

Within transaction, how to find keys from one table and use those to delete from other tables in a single request?

Hello,

As the subject states, I am trying to find keys in one table and then use those keys to delete from multiple other tables.  I need to do this within a transaction where other things are happening before and after this action.  I am not happy with the only way that I know of to do this:

BEGIN TRANSACTION
<unrelated stuff happens>
select key from table_with_keys where ...
<store resulting keys to variable in application>
<use stored keys to delete from other tables with a DELETE FROM ... WHERE key IN ...>
<unrelated stuff happens>
END TRANSACTION

I don't like this pattern because I am asking Teradata for some information and then turning around and sending it back to Teradata to do something else.  That costs time that I don't have.  To avoid this, I believe that there must be some way to do this in one request to the database.

Things I've tried:

1. WITH clause, a.k.a. common table expressions (problem: only supports SELECT statement, not DELETE)
  2. CREATE VOLATILE TABLE (problem: can't figure out how to do this multiple times within a transaction since creating table requires ET immediately after)

With either these or other solutions, how can I select keys from the one table and use them to delete from other tables in one request and within a larger transaction?

3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Within transaction, how to find keys from one table and use those to delete from other tables in a single request?

Use an IN-predicate that contains a SELECT subquery, like this:

delete from ChildTable where ChildKey in (select ParentKey from ParentTable where ... )

sdc
Enthusiast

Re: Within transaction, how to find keys from one table and use those to delete from other tables in a single request?

Hi tomnolan,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I think that if I do that, Teradata will do the subquery once for every table even though the result will always be the same.  I am trying to avoid that since I expect the subquery to take a significant amount of time.

I really think I need some way of caching the results of the subquery to reuse multiple times when deleting from the other tables.

Regardless, thanks for your help.

Senior Apprentice

Either repeat the subquery multiple times and run all the DELETEs as a Multistatement Request using BEGIN/END REQUEST (the optimizer should create the result only once) or use a Global Temporary Table, then it's a simple INSERT/SELECT within the transaction.