automate data extract from teradata

Database

automate data extract from teradata

Very new to Teradata.

I have a set query that I want to automate to download to an xls file and want this to run every 24 hours.  Can this be done?

thanks in advance

2 REPLIES
Fan

Re: automate data extract from teradata

Where is the query originating from?  It's very possible, but you'll use a different method depending on your environment.  I have several that run daily from a unix server, for example.  I use korn shell scripts that contain a BTEQ step (or several steps) that connect to the database and issue a query, and the scripts are scheduled using crontab.  If you're using Windows, you could probably do the same thing but with a powershell script  instead of korn shell, still use BTEQ (for Windows), and schedule it using the Windows scheduler.  If you want it to be in an .xls you'll probably have to format the output as a CSV and script it to be imported into the .xls spreadsheet (using the import CSV option).

Fan

Re: automate data extract from teradata

You could also consider expressor Desktop Edition, which allows you to easily connect and extract data from Teradata and output them in CSV format.  Their is a free trial version at http://www.expressor-software.com/product-downloads.htm