bteq script and password policy

Database
Enthusiast

bteq script and password policy

My connectivity with TD is almost from third party ETL tool. ETL tool can create encrypted password to logon teradata.

I am wondering that how is it possible to connect with teradata without exposing password for example through bteq script. I have ever seen a possible solution is invoking .LOGON bteq command through external file by using .RUN FILE=C:\... That external file is set with specific privilege to avoid exposing password.

Is there any other way to use encrypted password for logon teradata? Because most of the company policy restricts to keep plain password in a flat file.
Tags (3)
7 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: bteq script and password policy

use some creative scripting, you can get around such issue. Basically, the idea is simple, since .run command requires a file, you can provide the command with a named pipe, and the script will feed the name pipe with password by calling decrypting program to get the password from somewhere.
Teradata Employee

There is a possibility to make CLI to call an external routine by using CliUsrLgnExt exit routine.
This routine can modify the teradata connectstring.
Look to the CLI documentation
Teradata Employee

There is a possibility to make CLI to call an external routine by using CliUsrLgnExt exit routine.
This routine can modify the teradata connectstring.
Look to the CLI documentation
Enthusiast

@emilwu @vador Hmm... going with encryption/decryption program may bring up another layer. I just wanted to see any ready made program available with Teradata for password encryption. However I am going to explore both the option named pipe and CLI external routine.
Enthusiast

Hi njvijay,

Did you have any luck with these approaches to encryption? I'm interested in doing something similar. Any tips?
Enthusiast

hi , 

I am also interested on how to store the password in Encypted form in the .LOGON file which I would be using for connectivity to BTEQ.

Enthusiast

Hi Shreya,

Tdwallet utlity is one option where you can save it encrypted and call into bteq.

Thanks