convert string to date format

Database

convert string to date format

Hi
How to convert the below date in string to date format.. I try the cast function but it does not
work...

July 22, 2007

Thanks,
Mohan
19 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: convert string to date format

Hello,

For character dates, you need to specify the format as well.

Examples:

SELECT CAST('July 22, 2008' AS DATE FORMAT 'MMMMBDD,BYYYY');

SELECT CAST ('January 1992' AS DATE FORMAT 'MMMMBYYYY');

Please note, the output format of the date (if using SQL Assistant) will be same as that of OS (in my case it is 07/22/2008 and 01/01/1992), though in BTEQ it will be formated with respect to the format string specified ('July 22, 2008' and 'January 1992').

Regards,

Adeel
Teradata Employee

Select cast('July 22, 2007' as date format 'M4BDD,BY4');

Note that 'July 4, 2007' would NOT be valid with this format, though 'July 04, 2007' would be. Teradata does not have any format specifier that allows for a single-digit day of month.
N/A

Hi,

I am using this old post because I have exactly a situation mentioned in the last post. In my table I a have a VARCHAR(50) column where date is coming as May 8, 2012 and January 17, 2012.

How can I cast this column.

Regards,

ADP.

N/A

If the format is always correct and the only problem is the single digit day you need to do some CASE/SUBSTRING:

CASE 
WHEN x LIKE '% _,%'
THEN SUBSTRING(x FROM 1 FOR POSITION(',' IN x) - 2) || '0' || SUBSTRING(x FROM POSITION(',' IN x) - 1)
ELSE x
END (DATE, FORMAT 'mmmmBdd,Byyyy')

Dieter

Teradata Employee

Hi,

I have similar question. I need to convert a varchar like this 8/12/2012 into DATE format. I am getting an error message that this is not a valid date. 

I appreciate your help.

SELECT '8/12/2012' COL1, CAST('0'||COL1 AS DATE FORMAT 'DD-MM-YYYY')

Teradata Employee

Thank you for your response. This worked well when the date is like '8/17/2012', however I also have dates like '8/7/2012' or '10/7/2012'. I.e. each of the day or month can be one or two digits in my input. Is there a more general way to address this? If not how can I use this method to add '0' to the month?

Many thanks again for the hlep.

You can check the length of the date string and convert it accordingly...

SELECT '8/12/2012' AS COL1
, CASE WHEN CHAR_LENGTH(COL1) = 9 THEN CAST('0'||COL1 AS DATE FORMAT 'DD-MM-YYYY')
ELSE CAST(COL1 AS DATE FORMAT 'DD-MM-YYYY')
END

Teradata Employee

But this still would't work for some dates, e.g. '10/2/2012'