creating C UDF - issue with float output

Database

creating C UDF - issue with float output

Hi,

We are getting erraneous output while using the below UDF function.

UDF: myudf.c

void myudf(int *a, float  *result, char sqlstate[5])

{

*a=1;

*result =  1 / (1 + 0.2316419 );

}

Function :

replace FUNCTION myudf(

a INTEGER

)RETURNS decimal(38,9)

LANGUAGE C

NO SQL

EXTERNAL NAME 'CS!myudf!<path>/myudf.c'

PARAMETER STYLE TD_GENERAL;

Function call:

Select myudf(1);

UDF output :                                       1.062197830

Expected output (1 / (1 + 0.2316419 ):                                          0.8119243

Please help us why the results returned by the UDF differs from the expected results.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: creating C UDF - issue with float output

Did you try to change with 1.0 / (1.0 + 0.2316419 )  too. It may be that it compiles differently. Just my thought.

Senior Apprentice

I'm not a C-programmer, but when you define the result datatype as FLOAT within the C-code and as DECIMAL(38,9) within the CREATE FUNCTION this will never match.

Hi, 

The expected output from UDF is always a decimal. So I am not sure of the data type that should be used in C UDF.

Any help on this is highly appreciated! Thanks!

Teradata Employee

As detailed in the SQL External Routine Programming manual, a DECIMAL(38,6) maps to a "DECIMAL16" structure:

typedef struct
{
unsigned int int1;
unsigned int int2;
unsigned int int3;
int int4;
} DECIMAL16

Where the four fields together are treated as a single 128-bit signed integer value with the 6 decimal places implied (i.e. integer value is the decimal value multiplied by 1,000,000).

It may be easier to use FLOAT, or to write the UDF in Java where DECIMAL maps to BigDecimal.

Also, note that you should not be modifying the input parameter a... but that's a different issue.