demo question

Database
Enthusiast

demo question

I got the Teradata Demo CD 8.1.

I had hoped that setting up the configuration and databases from scratch would be an option, so that I could learn as much as possible about the software environment.

However, I'm stuck unable to run the 'sysinit' procedure, which is apparently not included with the demo disc, and seems to be the missing piece preventing me from setting up a configuration from scratch.

Am I missing something, or was this a specific omission from the Demo to prevent custom configs? I understand the database size/performance limitations are there, and the license terms, but we can't attempt setting it up from the ground up ourselves either?
6 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: demo question

Two utilites, sysinit and reconfig, are intentionally omitted from the demo distribution.
Enthusiast

Does the demo work on Windows 2003. The readme.txt says that it does, but I have tried installing it on 3 different machines and the service stops as soon as it statrs. I have disabled DEP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352) so that should not be a problem.

Previously I have successfully installed it on Win 2K machines but on Windows 2003 its giving issues. I have posted another thread in the Partners section of the forum; since I did not get any feedback I have added my query to this thread, as it is related to Demo as well. Hope you dont mind.
Enthusiast

>Two utilites, sysinit and reconfig, are intentionally omitted from the demo distribution.

Gotcha. So one cannot reconfigure/configure the system from scratch.
Aside from those two programs, then, is the demo software identical to the commercial version, or are there other differences as well.

Many thanks for your reply!
Enthusiast

>Does the demo work on Windows 2003.

Yes. I'm running it on 2k3 no problem. You might look at a fresh OS install... I've got the demo running in a VirtualPC VM with a differencing disk against a pristine image of Server 2003. Works great, and If I hose it, don't have to reinstall the OS... just re-create the diff disk and reinstall the demo software.
Enthusiast

Thanks tdgi, I disables some settings on Windows 2003, and after a couple of reeboots it worked.
Enthusiast

>Thanks tdgi, I disables some settings on Windows 2003, and after a couple of reeboots it worked.

Mine worked right out of the box. Just out of interest, what settings did you end up disabling?

Thanks!