how to find the unique column(s) in a table

Database
Enthusiast

how to find the unique column(s) in a table

I am a user of Teradata, and not a developer. I run the select statement to do my work. I believe that each table has a unique column (like 1 column SSN), or a unique combintion of coumns(like 4 columns Firstname, Lastname, DOB, ZIPCODE). I need the unique columns to connect different tables(joins). Quite often, I work on tables that have hundreds of columns, and I do not know what is the unique column(s) of that table.

How to find the unique column(s) in a table? The statement (show select * from table) might help, but it returns a lot of information, and I do not know how to get the answer to my question.

Thanks

Yunfei

4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: how to find the unique column(s) in a table

you can get it from one of the dbc tables called indices. use below query to get unique columns available in a specified table

select 
columnname
from
dbc.indices
where
tablename=<<table_name>>
and databasename=<<database_name>>
and uniqueflag='Y' ;
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot. This is really helpful. For my case, either those tables do not have index, or those are actually views and not tables. The queries returns 0 rows. But thanks the same.

Enthusiast

Use Show View statements to find the underlying tables, then please apply the above SQL to find the unique columns in those tables.

Enthusiast

if they are views withing views, the actual table may not show up. in such case do a "show select * from databasename.viewname". This gives the definitions of all underlying views and tables.