issue with joins

Database
The Teradata Database channel includes discussions around advanced Teradata features such as high-performance parallel database technology, the optimizer, mixed workload management solutions, and other related technologies.
Enthusiast

issue with joins

Hi All,

I am joining a piece of code B  to my  big code A as a left outer join on sepcial_id.  But i am getting numbers wrong. what are possible solutions to narrow down the issues.

sepcial_id is common id between both tables and that id is unique.

and there are no extra special id is there iN piece of code B .That id's are subset of code A.

Please help me out if there any suggerstions .

thanks

4 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: issue with joins

"getting numbers wrong" = wrong number of rows in your result set, i.e. missing rows?

This is usually caused by a condition on the inner table in WHERE, which is changing the join to an Inner join (check Explain).

The basic rule of thumb (which is correct in 99%):

• conditons on the Outer table are placed in WHERE
  • conditons on the Inner table are moved to ON

Enthusiast

Here goes the  issue

select serial_num ,Pref_Cd_Id from Prefcode   where serial_num = 4342562876911123

This is table B

serial_num                            Pref_Cd_Id
5,342,562,876,911123               1
5,342,562,876911123                 2

table A as only 1  serial_num   5,342,562,876,911123

when we are doing left outer join with A and B  we are getting numbers more.

I cant remove duplicates since the count pref_cd_id wil  come down. Its independenet numbers.

Any idea how to build the logic.

Junior Contributor

If you don't want multiple rows joined you must apply some logic to reduce it to a single row before the join, either some aggregation or some condition which returns a unique row (e.g. based on the Primary Key or ROW_NUMBER etc).

if you want to restrict your result to a single record. you need to put some filter condition in your query, may be on Pref_Cd_Id columns.