string contains an untranslatable

Database
Enthusiast

string contains an untranslatable

Hi All,

I'm facing below error.

Error: The string contains an untranslatable character.

My query is like this...

Sel column1, column2, column2 from table1
union all
Sel column1, column2, column2 from table2

Note:
All columns are varchar data type in both the tables.
If i execute the two selects individually, it is working fine.

Expeting some clue to identify the issue. Please help.

Thanks,
Sen
8 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: string contains an untranslatable

One of the columns in the query has Latin characters in one table and Unicode in the other.
Check that the character sets are the same. (DBC.Columns has the character set information, or use Show Table.)

Further, one of the columns has a character which cannot be translated from Unicode to Latin or vice versa.
See Functions & Operators manual - Translate_CHK function to find out which column and row has bad data.

The problem is probably in a Latin field with a character which cannot convert to Unicode.
Enthusiast

Re: string contains an untranslatable

Thanks a lot Jimm! The issue is because of the same reason as you mentioned.
Enthusiast

Re: string contains an untranslatable

select translate_chk(xxx using latin_to_unicode) = 0

Re: string contains an untranslatable

Hi,

I am facing a issue while loading data in Teradata. The error is like 'THE STRING CONTAINS AN UNTRANSALABLE CHARECTER'. There are only 2 varchar columns in the data bieng loaded and one of the column is having two tab space in between 2 sentences. Can this cause an issue? Please suggest the possibilities of the this issue.

Supporter

Re: string contains an untranslatable

Which tool do you use?

Can you share the table definition? Are the target columns defined with unicode or latin char set?

Can you share the load script?

Re: string contains an untranslatable

Hi all,

We were facing a similar kind of issue.Got an error like the string contains an untranslatable character. unable to get catalog string while loading the data from informatica to teradata. 

THe source is from a salesforce application and we pulled the data from it through INFORMATICA Connection . For that Connection we used MS-Latin Encoding. After pulling the data we try to load it in a teradata table where we get the above error when we use the character set of the column as unicode. Insert is failed completely. 

When we use the character set as Latin the data is inserted into the partcular column of the table but i get few junk values instead of the actual data which should be in chinese. 

1.initially we tried to connect to informatica with MS-LATIN datatype and table was craeted with column datatype as latin as well. Insert hppened but we got junk values instead of chinese characters.

2. Then we we tried connecting with UTF-8 unicode encoding and table column(name) datatype was set to unicode as well. Insert failed.ERROR MESSAGE: string contains an untranslatable character. unable to get catalog string.

In oracle it shows the actual chinese data and gets inserted without any error. The problem is only with teradata. Please try to help me as this is very important.

With regards

M Girish kandan

Teradata Employee

Re: string contains an untranslatable

If you need support for Chinese in the Teradata Database, then the Unicode server character set with a Unicode Client character set like UTF8 is the correct approach. Teradata currently (TD15.10) only supports BMP characters in Unicode version 6.0. Your Chinese ideographs may be supported in Unicode, but not by Teradata. The current workaround is to use the Unicode Toolkit UDFs for replacement character substitution. The Toolkit is available for download on the developer exchange.

If you know the failing UTF8 encoding, I can tell you if it is supported.

- Dave

Teradata Employee

Re: string contains an untranslatable

Please start a new topic for a new question.

The column must be defined as UNICODE. Both the load and the query should use UTF8 or UTF16 session character set. Other than that, double check how the data is being pulled from Salesforce; often problems of this sort are due to improper transcoding during export.