teradata system restart

Database
Enthusiast

teradata system restart

I have a scenario as below:
1. I am inserting into 4 global temp tables.
2. Based on the values in 4 global temp tables, i am inserting into 5th global temp table.
3. Based on values in 5th global temp and some additional joins, i am inserting into 6th global temp table.
4. After each insert i am checking for error code. If it is successful, i proceed to the next step.

When the above process was happening, the 6th global temp table was being loaded, a system restart occured.
my log gives me details that a restart has occured but does not really give me any more details.

In the above scenario, if the session ends, that is fine - My unix process would fail. But it did not fail.
It continued to proceed ( i believe an abort session happened and NOT end session)

What global temp tables might have retained data and where does the process restart from? where does system store the session information? where does the session store any log information or data to be used after restart.

Please suggest.
3 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: teradata system restart

Couple of things I missed :
1. There are other tables below the 6th global temp table that the data is loaded.

2.Request was rolled back during system recovery. This was the message from the log
Enthusiast

The system restart would rollback any open transactions, but the contents of global temporary tables would persist, and the sessions would be automatically recovered (at least if the client is BTEQ). If the session had an open request at the time of the restart, it will receive an error response; otherwise, an error response will be returned from the first request to be submitted on that session following the restart.
Enthusiast

Do you mean all the global temp tables will retain values after the restart?