utf8TO16 : why is it Latin to unicode conversion function when utf8 itself is unicode encoding?

Database
Enthusiast

utf8TO16 : why is it Latin to unicode conversion function when utf8 itself is unicode encoding?

UDF : utf8to16 function:

why is it known as Latin to Unicode conversion function when utf8 and 16 both represent unicode encoding?

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: utf8TO16 : why is it Latin to unicode conversion function when utf8 itself is unicode encoding?

UTF8TO16? There's no such function built-in.

There's only TransUnicodeToUTF8 and TransUTF8ToUnicode, but those are compression UDFs (changing internal storage from UTF6 to UTF8 to save space).

TRANSLATE(col USING LATIN_TO_UNICODE) converts from Latin to Unicode.

Enthusiast

Re: utf8TO16 : why is it Latin to unicode conversion function when utf8 itself is unicode encoding?

Thanks Dieter. That helps.

Enthusiast

Hi Dieter,

can you please help in converting data from UTF8 to LATIN1_0A or ISO8859_1

tried using this below query but i am getting error the string contains untranslatable character. In the same way will have to TRANSLATE(COL1 USING UTF8_TO_LATIN1_OA) AS COL1 it says that unknown character sting.

can we do this by writing sql query or not if so how? advice me.

SEL

TRANSLATE(COL1 USING UNICODE_TO_LATIN) AS COL1

FROM

(

SEL

CASE

WHEN DB.COL1 IS NOT NULL THEN  ' ' || DB.COL1

ELSE ''

END

FROM TABLEA

) DT COL1

Junior Contributor

If that column contains any non-Latin characters TRANSLATE will fail, you might add WITH ERROR to replace bad chars with an error character (hex '1A'):

TRANSLATE(COL1 USING UNICODE_TO_LATIN WITH ERROR)

There's no ISO8859_1 or LATIN1_0A character set in Teradata, only Latin and Unicode.

A session character set might be LATIN1_0A, then the Unicode data is automatically converted.

But if you got Unicode data why do you want to convert it to Latin?

Enthusiast

Dieter,

I am connecting to SQLA through ODBC with the session character set UTF8, now i have to write a query to export the data from session character set to another session character set (LATIN1_0A or ISO8859_1) where this data is being used.

That's why trying to export/load the data into LATIN1_0A? any other way? advice

Regards,

Rams

Teradata Employee

Hi vuyyuru,

There are a couple of options:

1. The Teradata Labs supported approach is to create a Distinct UDT from Unicode which represents ISO8859-1.
  2. The other approach would be the Unicode Toolkit UDFs (on the Dev Exchange) supported by Tak Takahashi, although I don't know if a server form of 8859-1 is supported.

-Dave

Enthusiast

Thanks for you inputs, tried with this option. Data looks okay. have to validate the data.

SEL
TRANSLATE (COL1 USING UNICODE_TO_KANJI1_KANJISJIS
WITH ERROR) AS COL1
FROM
(

SEL
CASE
WHEN DB.COL1 IS NOT NULL THEN ' ' || DB.COL1
ELSE ''
END
FROM TABLEA
) DT COL1
Teradata Employee

I can't recommend that approach as the Kanji1 server character set is no longer supported. What release of the Teradata database is in use?

Highlighted
Enthusiast

TD 14.10