Aster Management Console

Download Aster
Enthusiast

Aster Management Console

Have dowloaded Aster and related software;  Queen and Worker VM start fine but can't start the Aster Management Concole despite ignoring security warnings - any troubleshooting hints around starting AMC?

Accepted Solutions

Re: Aster Management Console

Hi Thomas,

My apologies for not responding to this sooner, I have been heads down on a set of fire drills on a project.  From what I am able to see in your VM settings it appears that your VM is not able to start successfully.  The nCluster Services Cluster Services Launcher is not completing successfully. This process is what sets up the services needed to run Aster and the communication between the nodes. (In the Screenshot on page 2).

The internet connection is also failing with the worker node.  It is showing 3 failures on the networking aspects,as well as another failure on the nCluster Services Cluster Services Launcher.

It appears that there is an issue with your network configuration and settings that is preventing the cluster networking aspects from starting.  This will need to e resolved before the AMC can be utilized.   The nCluster Services issue will also need to be resolved before the cluster can be utilized successfully.

For the Cluster Services issue please go to /primary/logs on the Queen VM and take a look at cluster.log, queenExec.log and sysmanExec.log to see if there are any errors in them.

For the internet settings, check the VM settings and make sure that the IP address is not currently in use by a diffrent VM or device. Also check to make sure that you are able to access the internet from within your VM. Settings may neeed to be tweaked, or the adapter configured to allow the internet connection to be used by your VM.

Thanks,

Tom 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
10 REPLIES
Highlighted

Hi Thomas,

Could you provide some more detail to your question? Where are you attempting to start the AMC? Is it giving you an error message? (Beyond the your connection is not secure one, owing to the self signed certificate). Are you able to login to the database and execute a query?

Thanks,

Tom

Enthusiast

Thanks Tom.  I haven't got into AMC as I can't start it in a browser.  I have attached some screenshots that show error messages from Chrome and IE as well as the set up settings that I have taken from the Express Start Guide.  Haven't tried to login to the database but will look at this.

Enthusiast

Forgot to add the attachment

Starting the Queen

ipconfig settings

i

internet explorer and chrome messages:

Enthusiast

couldn't add attachments.

internet explorer message: This page can't be displayed

Chrome message: Your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device detected or resource is not responding

Enthusiast

Tried to login using the queen virtual machine:

act -U db_superuser -w db_superuser

and got the following error:

Failed to connect to localhost.  Please check the host address.

Any ideas what I should do?

Hi Thomas,

You will need to specify the host address/ip in your logon statement.  When you don't specify a host address/ip, Aster assumes that the database you are trying to log into is on the localhost.   The logon command you are issuing  would look like this: act -U db_superuser -w db_superuser -h localhost

Try issuing a logon command like this:

act -U db_superuser -w db_superuser -h (ip address or hostname of the server of your Queen node)

This should resolve the issue.  The Aster Database User Guide and the Aster Client Guide (both available on info.teradata.com) walk through the different command flags and the logon process. They will have much greater detail in them on the commands and common issues. 

Thanks,

Tom

Enthusiast

Still not able to reach the AMC address.  There was an earlier similar question raised back in October 2016: 'Problem to reach AMC address'.  For that, Thomas suggested: Open Firefox in the VM and navigate to that address, it will bring up the AMC. 

Apologies, I am not au fait with virtual machines.  How do I open Firefox in the VM?  I had been trying firefox from my local desktop so that may be the problem.

dm
Teradata Employee

Hi Thomas,

Can you take a screen shot and send it to community.aster@teradata.com

Also, include all the steps you completed successfully and where you are having trouble connecting. 

Thanks,

Another possible point of reference: One area to check is to make sure you are not also connected to a VPN.  These can 'override' your local network and prevent you from connecting.
Download VMware Player 7.0#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/7_0 

Enthusiast

Tom's Aster Express settings are attached.