UDF replaces for CHARACTER SET UNICODE

Extensibility
Fan

UDF replaces for CHARACTER SET UNICODE

Hello all,
I'm looking for an UDF like the existing UDF "replaces", but for CHARACTER SET UNICODE (nor for CHARACTER SET LATIN). Is there anybody who can give me a correct working C-Code ?? I want to use it on an Teradata V12.

Thanks.
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: UDF replaces for CHARACTER SET UNICODE

We have a UDF which replaces out of range Unicode characters with the Unicode "Replacement Character". I just want to caution anyone who does something similar that you cannot export and then import the Unicode Replacement Character, because the client transformation rejects the replacement character as invalid. Please remember to select an appropriate actual character if you ever plan on trying to move data.

I would post the code we have for this, but it is not a Unicode based app - it is a binary masking app. That said, I think Teradata wrote an example for us some time ago - and they should have something similar which does this work - ask your support team to dig this up...

Best - Michael
Fan

I've got an answer from TD-technical-support. It works fine :-) Thanks !!

i have got the same problem. What should i do?

Enthusiast

I am running into a similar problem and would like to get more info on this UDF.

In my case, we get data that at times included unprintable/invalid characters, mostly as a result of users pasting data from other documents (we get smart qoutes and things like that).  Those characters cause problems when we query the data (primarily when a column is used in a Where clause).

I need an efficient way to replace these invalid characters.

Enthusiast

I have problem in handling UNICODE colums with Fexp/MLoad. We use Named pipe access module to export and import data in parallel. Please share if any one has got the workaround for it. We use Teradata 12.