Difference between Teradata utilities

General

Difference between Teradata utilities

Hello,

I am new to teradata and having basic knowledge(Architecture,SQL basics). I have few questions like

1. Can we load data from teradata table to table using Mload/Fload

If no then why?

If yes then why we mostly use Teradata BTEQs is there any advantage of BTEQs over load utilitites?

2. I read its possible though TPT, is there any link/docs where I can find detail info about TPT with example.

Thanks in advance.... :-)

7 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Difference between Teradata utilities

If I understand your question correctly .... you are asking if you can load a Teradata table using TDUs to a Teradata table .... well .... in-DB processing gives you better performance as compared to exporting it as a file and then loading is back.

Enthusiast

1. Yes you can load. Even using TPT wizard can be more handy, where you can choose Teradata table, File, ODBC, Oracle as source, you can define cols etc. You have option of Load, Update, Stream operator.

Teradata offers many options thru its utilities. I use bteq more frequently if I need to interact with unix/linux shell values and rich programming and flexibility of Teradata plus unix shell programming. The same thing I can do with TPT too. Choice is ours. But I heard that TPT in some cases is faster like reading multiple files parallely.

2. I alwya get docs from here: http://www.info.teradata.com/templates/eSrchResults.cfm?prodline=&txtpid=&txtrelno=&txtttlkywrd=TTU1...

Hello Adeel and Raja,

Thanks for the reply.

Raja, I have subscribed to the links you have mentioned above and going though.

As you said yes, we can load data from one teradata table to another using mload. Can you please ping me any script you have which do that. I will try to run.

Once again thank you guys..

Enthusiast

Did you try with wizard? Source Type: Teradata table. Destination Type: Teradata Table.

Sorry but I am not sure what wizard in teradata. But i have loaded data though BTEQs.

Enthusiast

It is Teradata Parallel Transporter wizard, where you can define job wizard. Give a try as a test.

Fan

Maybe it's worth to mention, that TPT wizard is just available for Windows. If you install TTU (and TPT) on Unix/Linux/Mac, TPT Wizard is not available.

Beside TPT itself there's a nice functionality within Teradata Studio to copy/load/unload objects between Teradata servers.