Difference between TeradataForum and Forums.Teradata

General
Enthusiast

Difference between TeradataForum and Forums.Teradata

Hi,

Just a confusion whats the difference between following two websites

http://www.teradataforum.com/

http://forums.teradata.com/

second one looks more new and updated but i guess other one is also running. which one should be used?

4 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: Difference between TeradataForum and Forums.Teradata

When you read the FAQs at teradataforum.com, you'll notice that it's a private forum (email list) run by John Hall. 

It's way older than Teradata's DevEx forum and stillone of the best sources of Teradata knowledge.

Teradata Employee

You can use which ever you wish too .... am sure you will get the answers of your questions.

N/A

The TeradataForum is independently owned and is not, in any fashion, related to Teradata the company or the 'forums.teradata' website.  While having a largely similar goals, there is a different feel between the two of them.  I believe that the two forums largely share the same membership.

Where the 'forums.teradata' website is browser-based, the TeradataForum is based on e-mail.  At the time that the TeradataForum began (in 1999), most forums were e-mail based.  Even though most forums are now browser-based, I've kept the e-mail format for two reasons:

- Not everybody is permitted access to browser-based forums.  As strange as it seems, there are many companies that either block or severely limit the internet access of their employees.  While this can also be true of e-mail access, it seems that most companies give their employees greater freedom via mail.

- I also think that e-mail tends to promote discussion - but that's just my opinion.

Another key difference is that the TeradataForum is moderated.  This is a pain in the backside for everybody because it delays posts.  I've kept moderation for several reasons:

- When a post goes from the TeradataForum to its members, it effectively interrupts several thousand people (every post goes to all members).  I want to respect the time of those members and the fact that they are busy.  I want to make sure that there's some kind of substance to the posts to help justify the interruption.

- I want to assure that the TeradataForum is free of all marketing, solicitations, product/service recommendations, vapourware and self-promotions.  The focus is on the technical aspects of the core Teradata products.

- If a post is extremely simple or basic, I answer the post myself.  If the question is poorly asked or unlikely to get a response, I'll try to work with the OP to improve their chance of getting an answer.  If the question has been asked on a regular basis (like transposing columns), I'll direct the OP to the TeradataForum Archives.

- If I see the same question posted on both forums (cross-posting), I block the post on the TeradataForum.  As I said before, I want to respect my members time and not disturb them pointlessly.

- I also block anything suspicious.  For example, I often get posts where a person will ask a question as Anomy.Anom and then send an answer from their regular e-mail.  Sometimes the two e-mails are sent so quickly, that I see the answer before the question arrives.  I guess they're trying to build a reputation.

I think both forums are valuable to the Teradata community and whether you select one or both is largely a matter of your needs.

And Dieter: Thank you for the kind words.

John Hall

Enthusiast

great info. thanks guys!