Docker Teradata Client

General

Docker Teradata Client

Hi

I have a couple of Teradata Linux client containers which I was thinking of pushing to the docker hub. Obviously these are built using RPMs downloaded from Teradata after logging in. This is for some groundwork for some work I will do for my main job where we have a major Teradata installation but this bit could be useful for others.

The whole beauty of Docker is that you can just pull the image and start using it.

Incidentally it would be nice to have bteq on there too but that is closed for linux but TDExpress VMWare has a copy on it, which is freely available

So really I'm looking for permission to push this to Docker, or maybe someone to hand the work over to

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES

Re: Docker Teradata Client

In answer to my own question, I built several docker containers which require the user to build another container after downloading the RPMs, this way you will still need to get a copy of the tools to add them in.

You can find them on Docker Hub.  https://hub.docker.com/search/?q=teradata%20client&page=1&isAutomated=0&isOfficial=0&starCount=0&pul...

I put together a basic one, one with perl, a Jenkins slave and a TeamCity build agent

Teradata Employee

Thanks. That should come in handy for running ODBC client on Linux flavors other than officially supported RHEL and SUSE. Another useful addition would be containerized Teradata REST API Services.

Thats a good idea, I'll investigate

jeremy i am trying to build an image which will use teradata odbc driver and python do perform machine learning. i started by using some of the concepts in your basic teradata odbc image. my challange is that i am doing the docker image build in cloud and am restricted to use a cli which restricts the docker commands which can be performed. i am also restricted by the packages i can install as this is a corporate cloud and only certain packages are available. i have some basic questions.

1. if i do the basic install of your TD image i do not find a .ini file at the path specified. although when i build the container i does take me into the unix centos.

2. when i built the image in the corporate cloud i did see an .ini file and its contents are blank.

3. how can i test that my odbc connection is valid wihtout using perl or anyother applciation. can i append the ini file with the logon credentials and build the image will i see the logon on the Teradata side.

correction to my first post, there was an issue with the initial image build i have the ini file and the contents are below.

InstallDir=/opt/teradata/client/ODBC_64
Trace=0
TraceDll=/opt/teradata/client/ODBC_64/lib/odbctrac.so
TraceFile=/usr/joe/odbcusr/trace.log
TraceAutoStop=0

[ODBC Data Sources]
testdsn=tdata.so

[testdsn]
Driver=/opt/teradata/client/ODBC_64/lib/tdata.so
Description=Teradata database
DBCName=
LastUser=