Exporting to an excel

General
Fan

Exporting to an excel

Hi,

I have been trying to export the answer set from teradata to an excel sheet. I have a column with datatype decimal (15,0). When I try to export it, this column is displayed in scientific notation. I tried to cast it as char,varchar and number. But it is displayed in the same format only. I don't want to change the format in excel after exporting. Since it is an automation process, I cannot do anything manually.
It will be great if someone helps on this... Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Exporting to an excel

Try using the 'Format' in your query .

Enthusiast

Try using the cast with 'Format' in your query

Fan

I tried with Format z'99999999999'. It didnt work..Could you please give some example if it worked for you?Thanks in advance.

Teradata Employee

The file exported from TD is not in scientific notation. This reformatting when reading delimited text input is an Excel "feature". The only way I know of to avoid the reformatting is to concatenate a non-blank, non-numeric character to the exported field; but then the value is considered text rather than numeric.

Maybe a better approach to automate this would be to apply the formatting to a "template" spreadsheet and have Excel fetch the data from TD.

Fan

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the reply.

I cannot concatenate any character to the value since it is an important field. And i dont really understand this one 'apply the formatting to a "template" spreadsheet and have Excel fetch the data from TD.' I am exporting the file to excel with the help of a mainframe job. So i cannot make any changes in the spread sheet.

Teradata Employee

Teradata supports connections directly from Windows and Unix / Linux clients; Excel can use the Teradata ODBC driver as a data source.