FYP ideas

General
Enthusiast

FYP ideas

hi

i need some ideas to implement as my FYP. any suggestions?

22 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: FYP ideas

what is 'FYP'?

Enthusiast

fyp is final year project. its for my graduation and am palnning to do my final year porject in warehousing taths why am learning Teradata.

need ideas for that.

Teradata Employee

Before I could share some ideas .... my questions would be as follows:

- How good do you know about DWH?

- How good are your concepts?

- Are there any design/scope restrictions?

- Is it going to be a team project or stand-alone?

- How do you plan to learn a new RDBMS, and implement the project in parallel?

Enthusiast

here are the answers

i am reading stuff online and also have TD documentation handy

am good with databases in general but do need to work more on sql part

no there are no design restrictions it will be what we decide as students

it can be a team project or may be not its optional

well am good with theory and need to practice more and we will also have supervisor who is teaching advanced databases so it should be helpful as well

Teradata Employee

What will be the duration in which you can work? 12 months?

I would suggest you to first finalize the team .... single or more .... but to finalize and start thinking/working like a team so the idea is of mutual interest. :)

Will you guys be touching the front-end [reporting] or only the back-end [database]?

Enthusiast

Natasha,

I suggest you should go for a team, a team of two people will be good. The second thing is you can discuss it with your internal project coordinator.

I would suggest you shold go for a case study for some medium firm. A kind of internship will not only lead your project to success but also it will give you insight of industry work.

Khurram
Enthusiast

I suggest you take up cases where you can  really justify questions like why you are using Teradata . People can corner you with questions from any angle. DWH is data warehousing. So choose good business cases and it will help you in the long run of learning.

As far as I know about FYP , it will not be a big one and it is only a semester. I trained few batches of freshers in the past, in my previous orgs. So I see that a little bit of modeling , not spohisticated one, is also required .You can also think of reqt gathering, data pumping to edw thru ods..sources, semantic layer or cubes,reporting if need be. For a FYP, you can think of a simple one.

Enthusiast

hi Adeel

duration will be approx 8-10 months. its 2 semesters. i wil work in a team of 2 and will finalize in coming days.

and yes personally i will like to have reporting and database both but it can vary on the duration and amount of work we need to do

khurm/thw

thnks any ideas you have?

Teradata Employee

8-10 months is a good enough time.

You can work on a project comprising of some subject-area(s) of an industry .... and you can have some related reports done.

Have you given a thought to industry .... Telecom, Financial, Transportation, etc?