How to start teradata service in suse linux vmware image (teradata express 13.0)

General

How to start teradata service in suse linux vmware image (teradata express 13.0)

Hi,
I have recently installed vmware image of suse enterprise linux 10.0 with teradata 13.0 preinstalled. I am unable to find the database name so unable to login into it. bteq , sql asst. java edition works fine but don't know how to find other applications. Have anybody tried this vmware image of teradata 13.0?
Thank you
10 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: How to start teradata service in suse linux vmware image (teradata express 13.0)

first you need to start Teradata Service
logon as root and to start teradata service type the following command in linux terminal: /etc/init.d/tpa start.
Enthusiast

Re: How to start teradata service in suse linux vmware image (teradata express 13.0)

Hi,

I recently did the same thing and the above reply is correct.
STEP 1 : Login as USER: root PASS: root
STEP 2 : Open the Terminal and type: /etc/init.d/tpa start

But I'm stuck after this step. I was able to start the Teradata service but I don't know where to do the bteq commands. Can I do it in the terminal itself?

P.S. I shut down the app even before trying it since my laptop was running very slow while running this VMware image.
Enthusiast

you can use the terminal to use bteq.

type bteq in terminal and press enter.

then you can see the bteq version and all information as you see in windows..

then....type the following commands to logon as you logon in bteq win in windows

.logon 127.0.0.1/dbc
password: dbc

that's it you are in bteq interactive mode....

to return to your terminal...just type
.quit you will come back to your terminal
Enthusiast

Thanks meta.

My TD13 VMware image is now running perfectly in Windows 7

Really a great way to refresh my TD skills
Enthusiast

Another question: let's say I have a data file in Windows 7... is there a way for me to copy-paste it directly to SuSE Linux... basically I want this file to be my input in an mLoad script.
Enthusiast

Hi dieter,

If want to execute bteq script,where I have to execute(which directory)
What is the command to execute a bteq script in unix

Regards,
Purushotham
Enthusiast

BTEQ needs to be first installed on a windows/unix machine. Once you have installed that, in any directory(mostly in the directory where you have your code file) you can start executing by entering bteq<<codefile.bteq

Enthusiast

Hi Krishaneesh,

I am new to teradata,pls help me out by sharing the solutons to my queries.

If we export data from tables to flat files using Fast Export .In linux by default in which 

directory the file will be available.

Regards,

purushotham

Enthusiast

There is no default directory. the directory would be specified in the .export outfile command inside the script. if you do not specify a directory and just specify the file name, then the directory in which the fexp<< was run will be the home directory.