Is Teradata good for Operational Online Applications

General
Enthusiast

Is Teradata good for Operational Online Applications

Hi

We have built few online applications in which Teradata is @ back-end and Java is used @ front-end.

The application is used by users to get information about the customers calling the call-center.

For some screens, the loading time is more than 15 minutes.

This is causing poor user experience.

Our intent is to minimize the screen loading time and to get the info within few seconds on screen.

Typical Scenario:

There are more than 200 columns retrieved as output from 20 stored procedures. The java calls all the procs , few in parallel others in series and as the procedures complete , output from cursor is read and is displayed on screen. We have already tuned all the queries in Stored Procedures and most of the queries are single AMP operation & takes below 2AMPCPU with few exceptions. 

Still we are not able to achieve the desire turnaround time.

I need your help in understanding how other people are using TD as back-end for operational online applications. 

What else we can do to get the screen loading time to few seconds ?

Any case-study where online applications are built on TD and are performing amazingly fast.

Note: We are not using any separate data layer. We are querying our Data Warehouse tables only.

Let me know if more info is required.

Thanks

Raj

6 REPLIES
Senior Supporter

Re: Is Teradata good for Operational Online Applications

In general it is possible and also quite common to source some OLTP like applications (e.g. like call centre applications) on Teradata systems.

But you need to have a proper design as well a good TASM setup to get fast and consistent responses. Also network performance from the application need to be considered during performance analysis.

Your description is not giving at all enough details to be able to give qualified response and I think this would require are real performance review engagement as you implemented 20 SP.

Enthusiast

I did not work with Java team in one project,I had worked before . But I never heard any complaint from there. I never coded online applications with Teradata.

Just my curiosity.Are they using MyBetis?

Teradata Employee

Teradata does have customers with web-based Java applications that use the Teradata JDBC Driver to query the Teradata Database, and consistently achieve subsecond query response time.

As ulrich noted, there are many elements that contribute to good performance. In order to build a high-performance web-based application that uses Teradata, you need to have good application design, good physical schema design, good TASM workload management rules, a well-designed network, and sufficient capacity in your web tier and Teradata Database system.

ulrich also mentioned that you should consider a Teradata Professional Services engagement. I agree that may be a good idea.

Senior Supporter

haha - you can book me also ;-)

Enthusiast

Aha!!!! why not me too, because I am curious :)
Enthusiast

Thank You all for your responses.

Any case study or doc I can refer to for understanding design part of online applications.