Is automation worth for cleaning Orphan Rights and Leftover Spool?

General
Enthusiast

Is automation worth for cleaning Orphan Rights and Leftover Spool?

Hi All,

We recently moved from Sybase to Teradata, my manager want every manual process to be automated, i agree with him. But in the case of Orphan rights, i haven't seen  the frequency of occurance not more than twice or thrice in an year for one particular environment (prod/test/dev). And also same thing with leftover spool, i didnt see it so many times. Please share your experience if you saw this for so many times than i mentioned. 

Thanks,

Geeta Kudumula.

3 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Is automation worth for cleaning Orphan Rights and Leftover Spool?

Its a good practice to have an automated check on multiple things like access rights, user logging in time etc. This helps you to make sure that system takes care of the left overs and is in good shape. I think while automating these type of things, its always a good practice to record the changes that have been made by the process, only for reporting and analysis purposes.

I am not sure about the spool space case becasue the system should take care of allocating and freeing up the spool space for query execution. What you can do there is to define the process which can grant some extra spool space (with the max cap in place) to the users who use the resource extensive queries. But again this depends on your organization and whether this practice can be allowed or not!

Enthusiast

It will get be good practice to clear the left over spool space for a system which is not bringing down once in quarter.

We have scheduled a weekly job

sincere regards,

Pradeesh

Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. But my question is, in case of cleaning the orphan rights the only way is we can clean them during any maintenance activities. And with leftover spool, it is not promised that all the times updatespace util can clean the left over spool. It clear the phantom spool but not the left over. In case updatespace util wont clear that leftover (and if its not phantom) only way is tpareset. So in both the cases there is not straight. Any comments?